What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on website design

simonwalsham69

hey guys, this a site I'm working on for a friend's martial arts club. just after some general pointers and opinions on the site design as its not something I've really done before, some like the menu style are limited by the website creator, but most things are changeable by us.

linky: Home - fusionmaf

nice background :) do you have a link for the fond?

the font were using is "bonzai" I believe it might be a standard font I can't remember downloading it.

My impressions:

- Can you get some space at the top so the bamboo borders are equal top and sides?
- Consider using a frameset. I personally like it when you can scroll down and not lose the links. You can do this with a left and right frame inside a frameset. You can set the frame borders to zero or off and make it a seamless transition across the page.
- The different headers like "home is where..." and "welcome..." are strung out. Tighten it up, pull things together. The eye doesn't know where to settle.
- Also, your very cool header with the "fanatical about..." going down the side gets lost. These two things are the first that should be seen (IMHO) when you go to the page.
- Therefore, I think the link buttons should be smaller and pulled away from the header text.

The process of graphic design: You do it, you think on it, you change it, you finesse it, you scrap it, you start over, you think on it, you get opinions, you piss and moan a bit, you make more changes, and then you're proofing it again and . . . it's perfect! So, hope this helped a bit. If I have a chance, I'll try to show you what I mean about the arrangement. Have fun, IB

I made an arrangement for you to look at. You did ask for feedback, right? One more thing I want to add. As I was moving things around, it struck me that the buttons are out of character with the Asian motif. You might want to design your own rollovers based on the bamboo for instance. That would be very cool.

Oh btw, even if you don't go for a frameset, the way you can get more space around the page is to put everything into a table and play around with the cell space and padding.

Attachments

• Fusion Site.jpg
    Fusion Site.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
In my opinion this can improve:

Footer: add more padding, fix the text positions and maybe put a darker background behind the text
general container: either remove the top and bottom margins so there's no gap or make them bigger, the body tag has a 10px margin by default, remove it by setting body{margin:0;} inside your css file

if your leaving the gap at the top and bottom i would recommend adding rounded corners, its a css3 non destructive feature, heres some more info Border-radius: create rounded corners with CSS! - CSS3 . Info

Hi Blue. If you're referring to the image right above your post, it's not the actual site designer's. I was just trying to give him an idea of arranging it for better readability. Yes, you're right and I hope he takes your advice. Lots more that can be done. Look at the original link to see Simon's design. He hasn't been back since June 30th. I just put another idea on in case he comes back later.

Thanks for the replies guys, I deffinetly agree with most of your ideas, but I'm having a hardtime convincing my friend who's martial arts club it is to adjust his original idea he's quite stubborn. He listens and takes ideas on board but then almost always reverts back to his original idea. But i'm gonna keep nudging him in better directions.....

Hey Simon, the customer always knows best, right? LOL. Real nice of you to help him out, whether he really wants the design help or not!

Hi Blue. If you're referring to the image right above your post, it's not the actual site designer's. I was just trying to give him an idea of arranging it for better readability. Yes, you're right and I hope he takes your advice. Lots more that can be done. Look at the original link to see Simon's design. He hasn't been back since June 30th. I just put another idea on in case he comes back later.

Sorry I haven't been back, I started a new job so haven't had much time on the computer, I like your ideas its just a matter of convincing my friend (who's site it is) to take them on. He listens to what I suggest but almost always reverts back to his original idea. i'll keep working on him though lol .....

I really appreciate what ibclare has suggested in his feedback images. He looks like one of the genuine graphic designers who have sense of making thematic websites and web pages. The surrounding borders and new buttons proposed by ibclare are lovely.

Hi, I am the stubborn one who owns the website. I am in the middle of implementing your ideas. Thankyou so much for all your help. Sorry it has taken me so long ot get around to it, busy setting up shop etc. What is the font you used on your design IbClare? for the base home etc tabs please??

Nice job ibclare, but I think that you should keep the button color correspondent with the background and header color. It's distracting too the viewer. Also, you did good by putting them all together in the first screenshot you posted, but then you dropped the adds and stuff to the bottom under the text, I believe it looked good by the links.

Hi there Luke. Sry but I wasn't around yesterday. Of course I used your font on teh header as I just copied and pasted it. The font I used otehrwise for the paragraph headers is Papyrus. Cheers, Clare

Back