What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patterns are blurry when reduced?

Coffee_Girl

I tried googling this solution but most of the answers were from 2004 and it was "there is no fix".

1) My patterns are fine at 25% 50% and 100%...but at any other number...they get insanely blurry =[

2) Also, how can i rotate my patterns layer without rasterizing it first? And how can i Un-Rasterize it afterwards?

Thank you for your help!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you using the patterns from a layer style?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Too slow!

You can right click the FX (layer style) and choose "Create Layer"
This will place the pattern on a separate layer. You can then transform any way you like.
Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 12.47.51 PM.png

Once you have the pattern on it's own layer, I would turn it into a Smart Object.
You can resize the pattern with and SO edit instead of scaling. This should cure the blurriness problem.

Last edited:

Coffee_Girl

Oh bless you good people! Thank you!

Edit: I like to create pretty wallpaper patterns for my desktop, I usually go into Layer> New Fill Layer > Pattern... Sometimes the patterns would be too big...or it is vertical when I want it horizontal. So I have to go through the whole process of flatten image, then rotate, then copy and paste into a smaller template...then scale the new template...then set as desktop wallpaper...and if I don't like how it looks on my desktop I have to restart ALL over again from step one. Since I am quite a perfectionist...down to the smallest detail, a single wallpaper might take hours!

BTW what is smart object? Also, if I resize smart object, what happens to the additional space it leaves behind? Will I have redo the pattern then paste it into the leftover space left behind by the layer that i rescaled to a smaller size?

d.png

So I did what you said...and I converted the pattern to smart object, then i press Ctrl + T to rescale it...and it allows me...but it leaves behind that white border thing? How to fill that white border thingy with the same pattern? Or do i copy and paste the green area and just add on until it covers the white area? =[

Im so sorry for being so confusing.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I did what you said...and I converted the pattern to smart object, then i press Ctrl + T to rescale it...and it allows me...but it leaves behind that white border thing? How to fill that white border thingy with the same pattern? Or do i copy and paste the green area and just add on until it covers the white area? Im so sorry for being so confusing.
Not a problem.

You must double click a Smart Objects thumbnail to edit. Doing this will open up a new .PSB document. This is where you will perform any changes to the pattern. When your done, close the .PSB, it will ask you if you want to save it and you say yes.

Here's a great link that will help explain Smart Objects: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/create-smart-objects.html

They sound scary but they're not!