What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo of Buck Moon taken with my new Fujifilm SL1000

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Got a new digital toy for my birthday this week. Have had Nikon DSLRs for a long time, but just wanted something to play with. This thing has a 1200mm digital zoom built in. Fujifilm SL1000. We have an extraordinary moon tonight that is being called the Buck Moon (some kind of legend I think) . But here is one of the very first photos I made. I shot it in Raw and adjusted the exposure just a tad in ACR. I cropped it, as the image orignally was over 15" wide at 300ppi. (a lot of it was just black sky). This used one of the night scene modes. No tripod, handheld bracing it on my wife's shoulder. Amazing detail I think for a camera that was less than $300.00. This is a jpg that I compressed with Advanced JPG Compressor.
Buck Moon 07-12-2014 comp.jpg

Paul

Former Member
I always like edge definition on moon images, really gives the image a sense of realism.
What settings did you run that at?

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Love it.

Came out really well, especially considering no tripod was used.

ALB68

I used one of the smart settings for Night scenes that minimizes camera shake. Metadata says f 6.5 -1/60 speed and an ISO of 320. Camera set it all , I just framed it pushed the shutter release. I made several more and I believe this was the last one. Pretty amazing I think. Used to be a lens that long would cost a ton of money,

I always like edge definition on moon images, really gives the image a sense of realism.
What settings did you run that at?

ALB68

Thing does Macro's too. This is a greatly reduced shot of a part that came with the camera. This was probably it's first exposure.
Macro of Plug comp.JPG

Paul

Former Member
I just need a better lens for moon images, mine all come out like distant blobs of light lol

ALB68

Hahaha..get yourself one of these things..$265.00 at Amazon with free shipping (Prime member). Amazing technology for not much money. Probably buy one of these cheaper than a lens.

I just need a better lens for moon images, mine all come out like distant blobs of light lol

ALB68

Tripod was stored somewhere, so I tried the camera's shake reduction and it worked great. I'm kind of amazed myself.
Love it.

Came out really well, especially considering no tripod was used.