What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop ate my C disc memory?

Funkasaur

Hey guys, I had this strange thing happen to me minutes ago, I made a huge file in Photoshop just to test it and see how it would work with that size, anyway it started giving me error message that scratch disk memory is low(it's set to C: Disc) or something like this. So I tried closing Photoshop and after I pressed "X" to close it, whole laptop lagged out(it was fine while I still had Photoshop open), so I just rebooted my laptop and after reboot I noticed that my C: Disc space dropped from 60GB+ to 26.x GB then to 23.x GB then to 22.x Gb then jumped back to 23.x GB.
So I'm confused right now, did Photoshop just ate my C disc memory? and if so how can I get it back, since looking around in C: Disc there's nothing around that GB size that just disappeared. Ran CCleaner to see maybe that would clean up PC and get it back, but nothing.
Any kind of help is appreciated.

Last edited:
What version of PS are we talking about?

Regards.
MrTom.

Check this location:

C:\Users\< username >\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\AutoRecover
(Or mac equivalent...?)

If there is a .psb file in there then that could be it.....if so then delete it.

If not I'll have another think.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, you saved me from headache.
So I first tried Tom's method, but found no .psb file in there, then I tried installing that app that gedstar linked and bam, it found the sucker hidden somewhere with those ~40GB, so I deleted it and got my memory back. Thank you so much guy.
And yeah, I totally forgot to set new scratch disk when I was testing that huge file yesterday, so thanks again.

Good good good.

My next recommendation was to search for the temporary files created by PS but I was waiting to see the outcome of the .psb file first.....PS does some strange stuff all over the place!

I don't know if this still holds water but not too long ago Adobe strongly advised against using anything but the application install drive for the scratch disc.

I couldn't really find out why they advised against it apart from that a 'bug' may cause it to 'just not work'.

This goes for NAS, network drives, thumb drives, mapped drives, external drives, tarmacked drives, beetle drives....ok scrub those last two but you get the idea.

I dunno if this has been fixed, it was never a problem in the first place or if it still could potentially be a problem but I thought it only fair to make you aware that Adobe released that statement.

To be honest I use a mapped drive for the scratch disc and have never had a problem........having said that I guess thats PS's cue to now have a scratch disc failure.....knowing my luck.

Regards.
MrTom.

Hi MrTom

"I don't know if this still holds water but not too long ago Adobe strongly advised against using anything but the application install drive for the scratch disc"

This is from the article I posted above

Scratch Disks
When Photoshop needs more memory than that available, it uses a portion of the hard drive as virtual memory or scratch disks. This process allows you to work with large image changes that exceed the capacity of your system RAM. The more hard-drive space available and the faster the drive access speed, the more efficient this process becomes. As a rule of thumb, aim for hard drives with faster disk rotation (usually classified in RPM) and faster read/write speeds. If you have the budget, then take a look at SSDs. Ideally, you should use a dedicated, empty hard drive that is not your startup disk, but if empty drives are not possible, at least make sure that the free space on your scratch disks is not fragmented.

Ged

Thanks gedstar,

I guess that means they actually fixed something then!
Its quite a rare thing so I never really expect to find anything.

Well done Adobe......now, about these other 437 problems......:rofl:

Regards.
MrTom.