What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS2 Workspace Issues (Windows 8)

Promatim

Hi All,

I'm experiencing a problem that I've never seen before in Photoshop. I just upgraded from an old Vista machine to a Windows 8 machine, so it's possible the OS is the problem.

When I have multiple windows open in Standard Screen Mode, and open the Color Picker (or Levels, or any similar menu) and hit "Okay" or "Cancel," Photoshop moves in front of my images. The toolbars, docked or undocked, come with it, but whatever I'm painting stays behind. I get all the images to jump back in front by clicking on the taskbar, hitting tab twice, and so on, but obviously I don't want to have what I'm working on and all my reference disappear every time I open the color picker.

This doesn't happen if I'm using Fullscreen Mode, but since I only have one monitor, Fullscreen Mode really isn't an acceptable workflow. My current fix is to make Photoshop's window really tiny, and to have as little as possible overlap with it.

Things I'm not doing. (Not trying to be a smarty pants, but this should save us both time.)

1.) I'm not accidentally hitting "tab" each time this happens.

2.) All these disappearing images are open in Photoshop. I'm not trying to get a bunch of things open in Photo Gallery to keep focus while I work in PS, or anything like that. (Though I wouldn't blame you for thinking that, based on the way I described this problem.)

3.) 12 years of Photoshop experience spread across Photoshop 7 to CS5, and almost no experience with Windows 8, so if I'm missing something really obvious, it's probably an OS thing.

Thanks so much for your help.

-----

Edit: Fixed!

I upped Photoshop's allowed memory usage from 55% to 70%, and the issue has stopped. I have no idea how or why this worked. A friend suggested the fix, saying that something similar can happen with 3DMax.

Leaving this here in case any CS2/Windows 8.1 people run into this.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm experiencing a problem .........................................

Edit: Fixed!

I upped Photoshop's allowed memory usage from 55% to 70%, and the issue has stopped. I have no idea how or why this worked. A friend suggested the fix, saying that something similar can happen with 3DMax.

Leaving this here in case any CS2/Windows 8.1 people run into this.

Absolutely, sorry your post stayed moderated for so long but I'm glad you solved the problem.
Also welcome to PSG Promatim