What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS5 Square Brushes

Random

CS5 doesn't seem to have any square brushes D: I tried making my own with a 1x1 image, but CS5 mangles it and automatically adds a slightly curved edge. I don't understand I just want a hard square brush :/

Help appreciated.

preset manager >brushes>square brushes

Hi Random Welcome to PSG

You should be able to create any brush you want...

If you are using direct selection to create the square brush make sure you set feathering to "0" other ways the all square borders will be to smooth or slightly curved like

Also crate a set of 3 different versions of the same brush "small,medium and Large" usually while changing brush sizes, the brush turns blurry and hard edges become soft edges.

Hope this helps.

lol sometimes it's the easiest thats hard to find lol

Hi
I'm a new CS5 and Photoshop user and totally overwhelmed by everything going on within the app. I am on a Mac Tower and when traveling on a Macbook Pro. Right now I am trying to create a film strip, following along on a tutorial from PhotoGavin. Part of the process calls for the use of a square brush. After spending an enormous amount of time playing with the brushes in CS5 and reading your comment above, I am still woefully confused. I can't find this "feathering" option you refer to and I can't seem to make any of the brushes turn into squares. HELP!! Thanks

fredp, welcome to PsG. You've somewhat hijacked this thread. May I suggest you create your own thread with this question, that way people will find it better and help you.

cs5.5 uses cs5,1 version of photoshop so yes.
If you press the arrow in your brush preview thumbnails panel at the bottom you will see a list of brushes 1 of them being square brushes.

My default square brushes seem to have disappeared (yes, I've done all of the above). Any place I can download them again?

try resetting your preference file or download a new set of square brushes and lets be honest all you need to do is draw a square with the marquee tool fill with black then go to edit >define > brush and voila you have a square brush

Back