What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop HDR

RedneckR0nin

Now as far as basics go PS makes it pretty easy to make HDR images with realistically no knowledge of the processing required to do so! So here is a basic run down of what to do for actual HDR shots.

1. You need to find the settings on your camera called Bracketing, what this does is set your camera to shoot at the set exposure ratings for a burst of three. Make sure your camera is set up drive wise to do this. I use Canon so I go to my camera menu and go to the heading AEB which stands for Auto Exposure bracketing. It let's you choose as little as .05-,0,.05 up to 2.5,0,-2.5. Once I have selected what my value is( in this case 2,0,-2) I prepare my shot. Firing a burst of three on the subject! Always remember to shoot in Raw mode if you normally don't!

2. Now you see in Bridge I have selected the three shots. Holding ctrl I select all three and go to the top of the screen and select tools. I go to photoshop and I select merge into HDR. It will now take all three and start the evaluation process.

3. Now in the this third clip it shows what photos are being used and giving you options to do with them. This will take some playing around to understand the concepts and what each setting and adjustment does to the overall image !Just for arguments sake I selected the preset Photorealistic.

4. Bada Bing Bada Boom you got a Hdr image. I suggest using the preset options for awhile just to get a hang of what you are doing composition wise first and then once you have the process mastered you can then start to work on adjjustment issues and getting what you want out of your photos!

I myself use Photoshop very rarely in HDR only unless I know I want the effect to be subtle as I don't ever use a preset and do my own processing in this style. If i want to grab a really great effect or want maximum control of my levels I use Photomatix to image fusion them together! You will find though sometimes HDR is a wonderful thing...most of the times it is not and resist the urge to blow them out with lop sided setting adjustments!

Happy Shooting!
RnR

Mind the last photo attachment is in regards to step one...the rest follow in order!

Attachments

• Snapshot_20110626.jpg
    Snapshot_20110626.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG