What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop makes my photo out of focus: what to do? Thank you!!!

Natalia

Dear Gurus,
I take my photos with iPhone, open them in iPhoto and then export as maximum jpegs - 4-10Mb files. Words on product bottles are in focus on iPhone, iPhoto and when I open exported files with Preview (attached a screenshot). But when I open them in Photoshop words are not in focus anymore (attached a screenshot). When I zoom the image the focus is better, but I need objects smaller, as on the original photo. I tried to export as tiff and ping, but it is all the same - file opened in Photoshop becomes out of focus - even when I open my Preview screenshot in Photoshop.
Any advice? Why is it happening and how to deal with it?
Most grateful!
Natalia

Attachments

• Preview.png
    Preview.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 9
  • Photoshop.png
    Photoshop.png
    2 MB · Views: 9
The first thing that comes to my mind, is to remind you that jpeg is a lossy format. This means that you lose a little image quality every time the image is resaved. I would should using a non-lossy format, like PNG, if you wish to maintain resolution and detail.

It does look very blurry.

Please tell me a few things.
1) If you open the same image in AI, does it still show the same blurriness?
2) In PS, if you go to Edit>Preferences>Performance, Is your "Cache Levels" showing less than 4? While you are there, is "Let Photoshop Use" option at least 70% of your memory?

Hi Polarwoc,
Cache levels are 4
Let Photoshop Use is 70%

Oh and it looks even worse in AI

I have PS CS6 extended Version 13.0 x64 from 2012 on my Mac Book Sierra 10.12.2. Can it be the problem?

If the OS is incompatible with CS6, I have not heard of it before. I am unsure.

If I come across a solution, I will revert. Meanwhile, if you do, please share.

Thank you! Would you be willing to open my original jpeg file in your Photoshop and tell me if it is blurry or not? I think that this test will rule out my settings...

Attachments

• IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
I am on Windows with a 24" monitor and here is how the image looks like at 25%:
2.png
and this is how it looks like at close to 60%:
3.png

Now that I see the dimensions of the pic, it is 4000 Px wide and only about 1000 Px high at 72 PPI.

Maybe the jagged edges is because of this resolution? Do you see these jagged edges for a normal aspect ratio image as well?

Also I noticed the image you used for screenshot in the Opening Post is different. Is that image the same dimensions as well?

Yes, I always see them. The image from your PS looks better than from mine, probably. But it still has those jagged edges - there are none when I open it with Preview.
Oh well,
Thank you so much for your time!!! I will let you know when I find the solution.
Please keep me posted if you have new ideas.
Best!

This is by far the best link I came across related to this matter. Some of MichelBParis's answers seem logical. Mac's Preview renders the wide image remarkably well, but PS does not. In the Opening Post, the screenshot of the Preview shows the image at 100%, while the screenshot of PS is at 25%. I will assume you do not see the jagged edges in PS at 100%?

Thank you! Yes, it makes sense and I do not see those edges at 100% in PS. I just do not understand why these photos have the same jagged edges when I post them on my website after editing in Photoshop? It looks terrible :( www.silkandglow.com when final photos are small.
BTW, I opened the same photo in Affinity Designer and it does not have jagged edges (just like in Preview).

The website looks well on my computer. There would not be any 4000 X 1000 images compressed to 25% display there, anyway.

If you have the option of connecting your laptop to a larger screen, you can then rule out the possibility of a pan PS glitch. If it looks good on the large screen, it just could mean PS can not handle such wide images on Mac. If you do connect, share with us a screenshot.

Do let us know.

Back