What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Newb

Saucychick56

Hi all. Hoping to be able to do my own book cover art. I have enrolled in an online class, so new work will be all mine. However, I have 5 covers that I've paid for and the artist is no longer updating for me. I have the final artwork, but it is "locked" - meaning, it is the finished work, and there are no "layers" for me to edit. I was unable to "unlock" the work through image type. Is there an easy way that I am missing? Or do I have to just use this as the base layer, and paste on top of it? I was just hoping to change the title, and maybe some other minor adjustments to the work.

Thanks in advance.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Saucychikc56
Typically in Photoshop, you can lock Layers yet you indicate that you have no Layers. So your question is confusing. You also mention trying to "unlock the work through image type". That was confusing to me as well.
There are file attributes associated with locking a file in Operating systems and Photoshop has some Layer by Layer lock capabilities.
You did not mention the file type with which you are working either e.g. PSD, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, etc.

It might be easier to help you if you provided screen shots of the issue or probably better just sharing the file on a file sharing site for forum members to give it a look to help with the root cause to your problem
Just a suggestion
John Wheeler

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To me it would appear that she has the finished art in whatever format, and not the PSD (layered) file. In which case you will have to use the original as a base and work on top of it.