What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Pen Tool Challenge

hawkeye

Guru
I did this while helping someone design a boardgame. They wanted evenly spaced areas around a track.

I've found one of the best ways to learn new things in Photohop, is to try to duplicate things I see others do.

I thought it might be interesting to present a challenge to try to duplicate. Use can any method you like. But I will tell you that it was done very quickly and easily using only the pentool and stroking. So with that in mind as a hint, have at it.

Mods: please move if you feel there is a better place for this.

Great idea!

I'll give it a go later when I have time. I'm horrible at the Pen tool and this will be helpful :)

I moved this to contests.

View attachment 718set the points will do more later. could probably use less but pen tool practice is a must for me. still have to smooth out the rough(turns cuts. am I on right track?

iDad--Here's a hint, I did it with just one single path, not two.

This is one of those obviiously simple things after you see it.

One those, DOH!! why didn't i think of that!! Will tinker with it tonight, try and wait to post the solution until tomoz if ya can hawkeye..

iDad--Here's a hint, I did it with just one single path, not two.

This is one of those obviiously simple things after you see it.
that is one path you see the lower portion to left
you did the cross beams as one also?.Ahhhhhhhh I know how!

I used the same single path for all the elements.

Sure I'll wait until tomorrow at least for the solution. It will be no later than Thursday as I leave town Friday morning. Maybe before then someone will come up with a different easy way to do it.

This is what I came up with using only the pen tool, one path and other elements. Not sure if this is right. But I traced the inside of the shape with the pen tool, stoked it 75 pixels, then added the other elements to add division to the board. From start to finish, if on the right track to begin with would take three or four minutes maybe to do.
Pentoolchallenge copy.jpg

Looks pretty good, but the way I did it you don't have to draw the section lines manually.

Both elements were done using the same path and stroking.

If no one is working on this, as soon as someone asks, I'll post instructions for the method that I used.

Did you by chance have text follow the path and use the straight up and down line? I can get similar results but not exactly like it.

okay spill it hawk...... fill us in.

Draw the path, then stroke it with a large white solid brush on it's own layer. Now, stroke the outside with black. You have the track on one layer.

Make a long skinny brush and set tne angle jitter to direction and adjust the spacing (I used about 950). Add a new layer and stroke the path with the brush and you'll get the result in the screenshot. You might need to adjust the spacing on the brush to get it right.

Now select the track, invert the selection and delete the excess from the lines layer.

Sorry didn't see your response to me earlier before I posted lastime. Nice, and your right, fairly simple. :)

i have a MUCH easier method, but slightly cheating:-

Use Illustrator! :D

Essentially, draw the path as you would in photoshop, then add a stroke of the relevant thickness.
Then, tick the "dashed line" box - you then are given a set of boxes to fill in, "dash / space / dash / space" just fiddle around with the size of the dash and the size of the space.

simples. :)

Back