What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop - select - modify - border

regularshift

Hello!!

I have PS cs5 and when I define a selected area.. I go above and click in SELECT then in MODIFY and finally in BORDER.. I choose 5px or 20px, whatever, and it generates a border area.. but when I start to fill (with brush tool)..the color stays automatically blur/fade ..instead of being automatically hard... And I don't know to fix it

On of my friends do that the first time in his PS CS5 and it is ok

Help please :)

sorry my poor english..

Hi .. do you think it is an opacity issue? I have cs4 and i dont use the brush tool to fill I just press Control (Windows) Command (Mac) and the delete key or backspace key on windows and it fills the selected area with the foreground colour. Hope this helps.

What tool are you using to make the selection? Make sure feather is set to 0.

Um detail.............WHEN I DEFINE THE FEATHER.. the minimum is 0,2.. not 0 (gaussian, one friend tell me the same thing, change feather to 0 but the minimum is 0,2.. and I had value of 5 before, the result is the same=blured)

When you choose the marquee tool, before you make the selection set the feather to 0, there is no minimum.

The border command in PS creates a soft edge, if you want a hard edge you'll need to use a different method.

When you choose the marquee tool, before you make the selection set the feather to 0, there is no minimum.

Yes I do that Gaussian (chosing marquee total and notice value 0 px above..... the result is still the same soft edge/blured edge...

why a soft edge by default? I don't understand why my friend and perhaps you also obtain a hard edge by default ..hmm..

From the PS help files:

The new selection frames the original selected area, and is centered on the original selection border. For example, a border width of 20 pixels creates a new, soft-edged selection that extends 10 pixels inside the original selection border and 10 pixels outside it.

If you make a selection that is not feathered, fill it with a color, then you can use the Stroke layer style to make a hard edge border around it.

Hello!!

I have PS cs5 and when I define a selected area.. I go above and click in SELECT then in MODIFY and finally in BORDER.. I choose 5px or 20px, whatever, and it generates a border area.. but when I start to fill (with brush tool)..the color stays automatically blur/fade ..instead of being automatically hard... And I don't know to fix it

sorry my poor english..

In PS to make sharp Border over selected area
you are going through wrong process, select > modify > Border .. it will always be feathered and border will not be sharp

Instead you choose desired rectangular/Eliptical Marquee Tool
in the feather option as marked in attachment put value to " 0 "
With marwuee tool selected make desired selection
EDIT > STROKE in the dialogue box select desired colour put desired pixel value for the stroke
Blending Mode - Normal
click OK
Your work is done

If still you have any problem, we are here to solve your problem

z06newforum.jpg

Hello!!

sorry my poor english..

I had the same problem. I had a text selection that I filled full of wonderful colored patterns. It needed a border - a black border of one pixel. So I reloaded (you should save important selections) and then applied the modify - border with one pixel. I too didn't get what I wanted with grey pixels (or were they transparent black) on either side of the black fill. Easy fix - invert the selection and erase the grey. This wouldn't be much help if you had other stuff on this layer - which you shouldn't have it should be a transparent layer. That's the power of layers for you.:)

Back