What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Shape Error

EthanKTT

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Hi i need help on Photoshop. for some reason when i create any shape it creates a bigger one next to the one i have already made. i cant delete the shape without deleting the main shape because it is only one layer. So please answer with a [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]reply[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif] on how to get rid of it.

Thank You
[/FONT]

Are you making one shape layer, and then attempting to make another shape layer? Or is it making 2 shape layers at once when you're only trying to create one?

If you're making a second shape layer after making a first one, and it's adding the shape layer to your already existing shape layer, then it may be pretty simple to fix. Sometimes if you put your mouse too close to the edge of an already created shape layer, it will just add on to the already existing shape layer. Also, I believe if you press shift before you start creating your new shape layer, it will also add it to the existing shape's layer. I encounter this problem sometimes, as well, just CTRL + Z it, and then try again both further away and then press shift (to constrain proportions if you're using it) AFTER you've already started creating your second shape layer, this should ensure that it doesn't go into "Add To Selection" mode (Which effects your shape layer mask when using shape layers, as opposed to it affecting the selection when using selection tools.)

I hope I didn't get too complicated. :) GOOD LUCK!

Which shape tool are you trying to use?

bane it didnt work. I know what your saying but its not what youve said. Basically i have made one shape in the whole of the picture so there is just a rectangle but when i have made it another one is next to it

Okay so it's making two shape layers when you're trying to make one.

3.png Try doing these steps and then restart photoshop. See if that helps. :)

Try setting your path operations to New layer.

Screen Shot 2014-03-21 at 8.49.05 AM.png

Just for fun, set your path operations to combine shapes.
You will see that this was the problem.
Set it back to new layer when your done.

Back