What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop sizes dont match

TheGateKeeper

Hi guys, im new to photoshop and am having a really wierd issue. I want to create an A4 size .psd file so i can create a poster for my business, but the problem is the sizes dont match. I choose to create a new document, set it to A4 with 300dpi, and what it does is it creates this HUGE document. Lowering the DPI lowers the size as well for some reason. Can someone please help me create a proper A4 size document wotj 300 dpi?

Thanks!

hawkeye

Guru
It may look huge on your monitor but the dimensions will still be A4 if you print it.

TheGateKeeper

Are you sure it should look like that? I can hardly work on this scince it is so large. Here is what it looks like to me:

img42 imageshack us/img42/7789/problemin jpg

Attachments

• problemin[1].jpg
    problemin[1].jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 9

hawkeye

Guru
That's the correct size for A4. You can reduce the size for viewing on your monitor. Try View-Fit on screen.

The ppi is the part you are missing, it's 300 per inch but your monitor isn't, more likely it's less than 100 ppi. Therefore it appears much larger on the screen at 100%.

TheGateKeeper

You dont understand, the dimensions are huuuuuuugeeee. Iv i copy my background into it, it looks like an ant. This is surely a bug. Can you upload a .psd file like it is generated on ur pc when using A4 to see if it from my side?

Thanks

hawkeye

Guru
You posted a screenshot of the size, that's A4 8.267 X 11.693 inches. If you are going to copy and paste something into it, make sure it is also 300 ppi. If it's less ppi then it's going to look small.

Here is a screenshot, the background image (Untitled-1) is A4 at 300 ppi, I pasted an image that is 11.1 X 8.3 @ 72 PPI inches into it. Also notice I'm viewing the A4 at only 16.67%. If it was at 100% it would appear huge on the monitor.

TheGateKeeper

Oh i see, didnt know it got that big....

How come if i resize an already existing image and uncheck "resample image" it doesnt get big?

Also... do you think i would benefit by converting this to 300dpi? And is it correctly set for A4 printing?

Last edited by a moderator:

hawkeye

Guru
If you change the pixel dimensions to larger values, it will be a larger size. Photoshop will add pixels as needed to make the image larger. But, if you uncheck Resample then Photoshop will work only with the existing pixels. So if you change either the PPI or the dimensions, the other will change in proportion.

Example (Reample unchecked) for a 72 PPI Image size 11.1 X 8.3 inches
If I change the PPI to 300 the new size will be: 2.66 X 2 inches
If I change the dimensions to 16 X 12 inches the PPI will ony be 50