What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop tool for symmetry?

knight2255

I am into making symmetrical designs, logos, etc and i was wondering if their is a way that while i'm drawing something the other symmetric half will appear. this would help greatly instead of drawing something and transforming it later.

wbiss

Guru
[confused] I don't quite get what you're asking, knight2255... If you want to draw only half an image (for time saving purposes) why wouldn't you just duplicate and flip it? [confused]

Erik

Guru
This is not done automatically but it's not difficult to do either:

1/Open your image in Photoshop
2/Press Ctrl+A to select all
3/Press Ctrl+C to copy to the clipboard
4/Press Ctrl+D to deselect.
5/Image>RotateCanvas>Horizontally
6/Image>Canvas Size>Double the width and click on the left or right arrow to make the canvas larger on the side you want the symmetry.
7/Press Ctrl+V to paste your clipboard
8/ Press V for the move tool and nudge with the arrows of your keyboard, evt with Ctrl.
9/ Flatten image.

It sounds more complicated that it is, really, and if you did it once and understand how it works, it is really quite easy.

Corel Photopaint has a tool for this.

samifox

Hi

i think the original poster meant to painting simultanic. i dont know a way to it .Erik gives you the faster way to do it. and dont forget to make an action of it so you can do it in one button preesed.

shay