What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pixelation of shape layers

dsammond

Hi Gurus,

I'm just getting started with PhotoShop and I've noticed that when I create custom shape layers, the fill is often noticeably pixelated. I know that PhotoShop is generally a raster based tool, but my understanding is that the shape layers are created as vector graphics. I don't see the same pixelation in the tutorial I'm following, so I'm wondering if there is a setting that I could adjust to get rid of the jagged edges.

My canvas is set at 5 x 7 in. so I don't think I'm zooming in too much.

Thanks for any help.

Doug

Boomawoom

Make sure you have anti-alias turned on (the tick box next to opacity on the top tool bar when you have the shape tool selected).

dsammond

Thanks for the quick response! That sounds like a reasonable solution, but in shape mode I don't see the anti-alias or opacity functions on my toolbar. Do I need to manually add those in preferences (or somewhere)?

Boomawoom

Untitled-1.jpg

That's where it is on mine. I'm using CS5 so it might be in a different place if you're using a different version. Also the left circle was made with aniti-alias turn on and the right with it turned off, I'm guessing yours looks like the one on the right?

dsammond

My tool bar is missing that stuff. I have a picture file of my screen, but can't figure out how to post to here. How did you add the image above?

Boomawoom

Click on "go advance" next to "submit reply" (or something like that) then click the paper clip thing to add an attachment, upload it, click on it so it's ticked, then click "insert inline" at the bottom right corner.

Boomawoom

Hmm, I'm not sure. Which version of Photoshop are you using? It might just be a different layout because you're on a mac and I'm on a PC but I thought it'd be the same.

Boomawoom

Ah I think I know what it is; Change the style from 'shape layer' to 'fill pixels' which is at the top left of the tool bar, next to the pen tool.

SeniorS

Guru
It just show's it that way when you zoom it in. Look at 100%. And it is vector. Enlarge image up to 300% (for example) and check it out at 100% zoom - everything is fine. Just don't zoom it in, that's not work smooth for PS. But it still vector shape and will be fine if you print it or something.

SeniorS

Guru
I want to add.

Everything is okey is your PS. PS is about raster and real world image. And that's mean pixels per inch (or cm, whatever). When you zoom in you see those pixels. Shape itself theoreticly is vector object and it is. You can resize it, transform it and it won't get blury. But as it is raster image at the end so PS shows it "rendered" and it is build of real pixels. Ilustrator is mathematic representation of image and there you can zoom in as much as it allows and you will not see any pixels. That's just how it works.
I'm not so good at theoretic, i'm practical. When it comes to explain it get's even worse. Maybe someone can explain it smoother.
But as resume - it is okey, nothing else is posible in PS. Use Illustrator if it bother you.

I've been spoken :)

dsammond

Yes. When I change to 'fill pixels' I get the anti-alias box, but it doesn't change the smoothness of the shapes whether I check it or un-check it. I'm attaching another screen shot that shows the rough edges better. Notice the ruler at the top (in inches). Is this amount of pixelation normal for PhotoShop? Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 10

dsammond

Great. I'm coming to PhotoShop from Illustrator, so I'm not used to seeing the rough edges. I just wanted to know that there wasn't anything else I could do to smooth the edges in PhotoShop.

Boomawoom

Yeah you shouldn't zoom in over 100% unless you doing some detail work. What dimensions are you using? I usually work in about 2000 x 2000.