What's new

Pointer to Image Sharing Site with specific features

thebestcpu

Guru
I have a need where:
1) I can share only a specific album of ~100 to 200 images to a friend
2) Have the friend sort these images by their desirability thru manual reordering (drag and drop)
3) Export the images with a sequential number prefix so the files names will preserve the manual sort order.

You could do this in Picasa yet I see no way to do this in Google Photos.

Basically I need a remote person (who has virtually no computer skills) to be able to easily sort/prioritize images and have that sort order available to me electronically. If there are other easy ways to do this, any advice would be appreciated.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope. :)

Thanks in advance

John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
maybe he can make a list for you with the image-names and the re-ordering number
(in exel-sheet or manual written)
if it can be an exel-sheet , you can make a script for the renaming
Thanks colleague. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Without finding a totally automated way to get the list I was gravitating to a semiautomatic way.

Your thoughts spurred me to this solution:
- Use a image sharing site that allows both custom ordering and can display the filename as well
- I simply rename the files before uploading as 1 to 200
- After the friend uses the drag and drop feature to order by their own priority, take your approach and have the friend write down the filenames (which are just numbers 1 to 200) in the order as they appear on their custom sorted screen. This friend does not have excel yet I can certainly take any list they create and import it into Excel for processing.

So your thoughts were very helpful and I will very likely use the approach you suggested. I appreciate the time you took to respond to this unusually request for information.

thebestcpu

Guru
Have your friend download this free program; http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

He can download your images, view them in FastStone, and move them manually into any
order by drag and drop and then re-number them in FastStone in the order he's chosen.
It's a very simple program that I've used for years.
Thanks TonyCooper
Unfortunately, loading and learning a new program is beyond the skills of my friend. Thanks for the pointer though. I might give it a look for other uses yet would need to run it in a Virtual Win OS on my Mac since it is Windows only software.

Tom Mann

Guru
I know I'm late to this discussion, but what software does your friend feel confident using? Picasa? Excel? The graphical file manager in either Windows or on a Mac? Etc.

Cheers,

Tom M