What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layer Styles Possible to make layers ignore each other?

Supbro112

Hello, I am new to Photoshop! I have watched a few tutorials and such online to get a grip on how to use some tools. Recently I have been messing with some neon graphics in Photoshop and need help with an annoying subject. I use four modes when making a neon looking graphic, these are: Color Overlay, Drop Shadow, Inner Glow, and Outer Glow. The problem I am having is that when I have multiple neon graphics in an area close to each other (such as words or words and icons, or anything else) the glow can get horribly bright, blindingly bright. I know you can move layers above or below, but it doesnt help much if there are multiple graphics, because then there are too many graphics to move layers above or below. I looked online already but didn't have much help for my problem.

To Restate: My problem is my image effects interacting with other effects on other objects, that make a unwanted bright blinding light, and want to know if there is any way possible to make an icon ignore another so that the lights / glow don't collide and make it too bright.

Thanks, Supbro.

Example:
a162a8539a3f2e33ab6c7434eeb90e93.png

you can see that the "S" on the right is brighter because the left S is above it, so the light is making the right "S" appear brighter, I would like (if possible) to make these layers ignore each other so they both have the same glow and effects without conflicting.

(sorry for any typos, am very annoyed from this lighting issue)

Hello and welcome.

Without seeing your layers panel, it looks like you have two layers stacked.

Here is a letter with an outer glow effect (Layer Style)
Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 11.36.26 AM.png

If I duplicate that layer and they are "stacked" in the layers panel (in line with one another), it doubles the effect...
Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 11.36.36 AM.png

But when I move the duplicated layer over, the effect is not duplicated.
Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 11.36.52 AM.png

You may have a duplicated layer stacked with your second S layer.

I do not have any duplicated layers, but perhaps you could try with the effects I used? (Inner Glow, Outer Glow, Color Overlay, Drop Shadow) I can also send specific values or the PSD if you would like. Can the background be affecting it? I use a wall image and saturate it and such to make it darker to let the "neon" affect look better.

Here is the PSD. You can tell i put both S layers below the left and right wing so that the glow doesnt affect the wings (it is also a nother problem) where if i had put the "S" layers above the wing layers, the glow all goes to the wings instead of the "S" Here is the PSD.

Attachments

• DiscordDesign.psd
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
I see what it is. You have used a colored drop shadow for the glow effect.
Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 11.51.09 AM.png

Turn that off and they behave normally.
Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 11.50.21 AM.png

Yes, but the drop shadow is what adds most of the lighting. I must have no drop shadow in order for the icons not to affect? There is no possible way to set layers to not interact between effects?

Yes, but the drop shadow is what adds most of the lighting.
I see that this is casting a nice glow effect to the background.

I must have no drop shadow in order for the icons not to affect?
You could move them away from each other.
Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 11.59.59 AM.png

When you have the two so close, that drop shadow effect interacts.
Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 12.02.22 PM.png

There is no possible way to set layers to not interact between effects?
None that I know of at this time. I'm doing some research on the issue. Will get back with you.

Okay. Thank you. I will move them away from eachother. Gosh I hope there is something to do something like that, it would be quite nice I think, mallow to choose layers to ignore each other! Thanks for the partial fix!

There are a couple more things that you can do to control things a bit easier.

1) Put both of the "S" texts into a Layer group and only apply the Layer Styles to the group
2) Do the same for the two wings
3) As already suggested by IamSam you can position the text between the wings a bit better

I took your image, did the grouping, used the same effect yet only on the Text Group, on the Layer Group, I started with the same effect and reduced the Drop Shadow "Distance" to zero and reduced the "Size" down to around 21.

There are other ways to not have the interactions of which you experienced yet the effects you are getting in the image do include many interactions which give it its unique look. So there is a tradeoff.

I have also included the modified PSD file as well.
John Wheeler

DiscordDesign-adj.jpg

Attachments

• DiscordDesign-adj.psd
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Back