What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Print white areas as "no ink", please

JDługosz

Photoshop CS6, Epson Photo R1900, Windows 7

I have some scans of sheet music that were emailed. After adjusting and editing the image, I need to print it.
This is simply black marks on white background. I can even convert to Greyscale before printing.
But, it insists on printing a color tint to the white areas of the paper and printing the black as some CMY blend.

Is there a way to print such an image as "don't mess with it" — white means no ink, black means printer's native black ink.

Thanks,
—John

If you convert it to Greyscale and the whites still have a color cast, the problem can not be your file because grayscale files contain no color information.

It's most likely the printer's fault (eg, cartridge getting old and slightly clogged up), or equally likely that you haven't told the printer driver exactly what combination of inkset and paper you are using. For example, have you bought some off brand of ink or paper that isn't on the list in the printer driver options? Often, the mfgr of good quality papers or inks will provide users with a way to download output profiles for combinations of printers, inks and papers that they have characterized. If so, use the profile they provide. If not, you're taking a crapshoot with your results.

T

PS - I just re-read your post and noticed that you said that your current configuration generates CMY blends. You didn't say, CMYK blends. If it really is generating only CMY with K=0, this is not right for inkjets. Let me know and I'll try to help.

I meant that the black writing is some careful blend to match the dark areas of the original scan, or some profile correction. I want it to just use the Black.

I don't think it should be necessary to have an absolutely perfect profile available in order to just print black on paper, with no heroic attempts to match some exact shade of what it thinks the background should be.

It can't be a clogged ink cartridge because I don't want it to use colors at all: just black for black! Follow me?

This is for line drawings, scanned text, and similar things, not photographs.

OP: "... I want it to just use the Black. ...I don't think it should be necessary to have an absolutely perfect profile available in order to just print black on paper, with no heroic attempts to match some exact shade of what it thinks the background should be. ... It can't be a clogged ink cartridge because I don't want it to use colors at all: just black for black! Follow me?"

Yes, calm yourself. We "follow you" perfectly. There is no need to get hot under the collar. You asked a very reasonable, but naive question. Literally thousands of R&D people have tried over at least a decade to get photographic quality black and white prints out of just the black ink channel of a color inkjet printer, and unfortunately, it just doesn't work very well with conventional color inkjet printers.

The reasons are (1) in the physics of droplet production and (2) the statistics of laying down smooth tones from a limited number of microdroplets per pixel.

The physics problem is that there is a maximum ratio that can be achieved between the maximum and minimum sizes of droplets (from the print heads) and rates of droplet production that can be achieved with stability and reproducibility. Think of the limited range of stable droplet sizes you can get out of a dripping faucet.

These maximum ratios limit the dynamic range of the print. If this were the only problem, with one black ink, you could get either (a) great blacks and a noticeable posterization / gap between the lightest grays and white; or (b) a nice smooth transition between whites and light grays but no really dark blacks.

Unfortunately, this isn't the only problem. The second problem is that each printed pixel is composed of some maximum number of microdroplets. For the sake of argument, lets assume this number is 30 (per color channel). Since we are trying to make B&W prints out of just the black ink in a color printer, this means we only have 1 color channel. In the dark and mid-tone areas, there are enough droplets to present a visual appearance of continuous coverage of each pixel. However for lighter areas, they may need to be only be a few droplets per pixel to approximate a given light shade of gray, but since there are so few droplets, your eye can resolve the small number of individual dots in each pixel and the resulting print looks more like newsprint than a fine art print.

Of course, as suggested above, there are some print drivers that allow the user to turn off all the color inks and leave only the black ink on. This may be acceptable for some quick and dirty, low cost text output, but not for a photographic quality B&W print.

The conventional way around this is a solution that printer manufacturers developed, and which you have just discovered: To provide spatially smooth patterns and smooth gradations in B&W tonality, to produce photographic quality B&W prints, the print driver uses a mixture of all the color inks to lay down a dark, but muddy base, and then adds flow from the black ink to further darken it and reduce any remnants of color.

If you really want to produce a photographic quality B&W print from only black inks, the solution is to use one of the specialty inksets that replace the color ink cartridges with a set of black and gray inks ranging from deep black to light gray. Obviously, you also have to replace the printer driver to get this to work. This approach is costly, but produces prints that are essentially indistinguishable from old-fashioned silver based prints.

Here are some references you might want to read on this subject:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/stuff2/?p=1532
http://www.inksupply.com/quadtone.cfm
http://www.inksupply.com/blackandwhite.cfm
http://www.inksupply.com/bwpage.cfm
http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRrequire.html

HTH,

Tom M

PS - Should you not like to deal with the true level of complexity lurking behind such a seemingly simple request, here's a very easy technique that will likely improve your current results. Simply put a brightness/contrast adjustment layer at the very top of your layer stack. Click on the "Use legacy" option. Move the slider about 1/3 of the way to the right. This should force all the ligher tones to pure white and all the darker tones to pure black (...where "pure" really means "as pure as your particular combination of printer and printer driver can produce".

PPS - On the off chance that you are using some 3rd party or off-brand inks and/or paper in your printer, try a run with inks and papers recommended by the mfgr of your printer.

Last edited:
If you really want to produce a photographic quality B&W print from only black inks,

No,
This is for line drawings, scanned text, and similar things, not photographs.

I had to do the same thing today. I found that Epson has updated its driver and now has a "grayscale" checkbox on the printer options panel, thanks to popular demand. It looks better in that it doesn't try to reproduce a meaningless shade of ink from the original, but the printer still uses blends of colors rather than just the two black wells. That is overkill, considering that a printout on an ink-jet that only had a single well (black) would give acceptable results for things like typewritten pages of text. I guess that's just the problem with using a photo printer for documents too.

No,

I had to do the same thing today. I found that Epson has updated its driver and now has a "grayscale" checkbox on the printer options panel, thanks to popular demand. It looks better in that it doesn't try to reproduce a meaningless shade of ink from the original, but the printer still uses blends of colors rather than just the two black wells. That is overkill, considering that a printout on an ink-jet that only had a single well (black) would give acceptable results for things like typewritten pages of text. I guess that's just the problem with using a photo printer for documents too.

If everything is OK with your printer. Try taking the image into ACR and push the slider for the Whites all the way to the right. With the blacks, pull them all the way left. Then reopen in PS.
I print solid black transparencies with an Epson 1430. What I am printing is the channel to burn screens for screen printing. That is actually a greyscale image and I set my print driver to greyscale. It appears that nothing is laid down except black, as I have a CIS (continuous in system) and can see visually the amount of ink used from the tanks. I get consistent opaque and clean blacks this way. They have to be sufficiently opaque as prevent light from passing through to produce the screen. Try that and see what your results are.

Last edited:

Back