What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing greeting cards issue

para19

Windows 10, Canon IX6550, Photoshop CC2015.

I have been trying to print greeting cards, using 7x10" paper, but no matter what I do the print always comes out with a thin border. Choosing 'borderless' in the Canon print preferences only produces a warning message and the resetting of the paper size to A4. :frown:

I have spoken to Adobe and canon but neither were able to help me. A friend suggested that someone here would be more likely to offer a solution to this small but irritating problem. I know that I could print on larger paper and then cut off the border but why should I need to do that? If I can print on 7x10 inch paper I should be able to do so without a border being forced upon me, am I right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi para19 and Welcome to PSG

This is not really a Photoshop issue and more likely down to the printer, what's the exact warning message you get

Have you tried to do borderless printing from other apps with the same document dimensions

Last edited:
From further reading it seems that you can't print borderless on a custom sized document, I could be wrong though!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bor...g-Photoshop-Canon-p/step3/Printer-paper-size/
"You may have noticed that you can actually set a custom size when you choose envelope settings, but can't choose borderless. Likewise, you can choose borderless with standard printing, but can't choose a custom paper size"

Another mention of it

"My Canon printers will accept a custom paper size. They will also allow me to set the printing to borderless in the print driver. As far as my testing goes, it is not possible to do both. If I select borderless, it requires that I select a paper size from a reduced number of paper size choices. If I don't select borderless I have access to many more paper sizes as well as custom"

Without boring you with all the gory details as far as I can tell this isn't possible via PS, nor, it seems,via any other 3rd party application for that matter.

I tried with 3 image apps, PS, XnView and Irfanview and all three will always reduce the size of the printable area for any given size of paper.

This can be seen clearly in PS when you open the 'Photoshop Print Settings' dialog....the 'Preview' shows you the 'printable' area within the [selected paper size] paper boundary....that which cannot be printed on is shown in diagonal hatching...

print_size_MT_01.png

There does not seem a way around this, its standard amongst anything that 'prints'....so....

It looks like your only option is to use the software that came bundled with your printer which 'should' have the facility to do 'borderless' prints.

I don't know if you had any software with the printer so if not you could try Irfanview as it does have a borderless option.....and WILL print your image at the size you've specified via the image resolution setting in PS.

One good thing here is that Irfanview will open PSD files so you can get things set up in PS and just use Irfanview to handle the printing....I haven't tried the borderless option as my printer doesn't do borderless but it may work for you.

You may need to find a more comprehensive printing application than Irfanview if you need more control over colour management but if not then it may do the job.

Regards.
MrToM.

@gedstar and @MrToM Thanks for the information, you have confirmed what I had feared and expected. I will take a look at the Canon software that came with the printer but I don't have high hopes of success.

Maybe I'll just print a bit bigger and get the guillotine out :cheesygrin:

Thanks again, much appreciated.

No worries....sorry it wasn't better news.

Regards.
MrToM.

Back