What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem importing path to psp...

samifox

Hi

I create a dashed line in Illustrator and i planed to export it to psp. i copy paste it and i recieve the Pste diolog box,i choose Path but only the overall shape was imported and not the dashed line i wanted.

the second is what i draw in illustrator and the first is what i got in psp.

Thanks
Shay

Samifox, copy and paste it as a "shape layer". ;)

Hi

I tryied to paste it as a path and as a shape layer..both gives me the same results. ;)

Shay

[confused] Pasting as a "shape layer" works for me, samifox. I do it all the time... [confused]

If I'm "missing something" here (special circumstances), please let me know.

;) Yes, PSP is PaintShopPro, Erik. I'm assuming that Shay means PS and that his was just a typo! [confused]

Shay, the other thing that occured to me is this: are you "grouping" these individual shapes (the dash lines) in Illustrator prior to copying them? They have to be "grouped", otherwise, you'll only be copying one dash as opposed to "all" of them.

The other thing to keep in mind, once you export to PS is that IF you want to edit them, individually, you will need to paste them (one by each) on separate layers.

What I suspect is that these shapes are an ILLUSTRATOR STYLE... is there an equivalent to "create layers" to turn the style as a regular path?

Shay , you can create dashed lines in Photoshop as well :
check these tutorials :
http://www.planetphotoshop.com/PeteBauer72.html

But beware! he is wrong when he says that shapes cannot follow paths!!!!

EDIT: I AM wrong! the information on the following paragraph was for Photoshop 6.. I did not read it correctly.. sorry Mr Bauer!

Thus, disregard this paragraph :
Remember, however, that these dashes will not follow the paths of the cursor, but instead stay oriented to the page. This figure shows the difference between a dashed line created in Photoshop (top) and one created in Adobe Illustrator (bottom). The Illustrator dashes follow the path no matter how it curves.

In this one, he shows how to make the tip shape follow the path! :

http://www.planetphotoshop.com/PeteBauer74.html
(scroll down to the "direction" part)

Hi

Sorry i meant Photoshop...

Wendy try to copy paste a dashed line and you'll get the same problem.if you copy a fill shape its ok but not dashed line.

i think sPECtre is right..its about illustrator style and untill i wont find a way to make this style as a path and than copy paste it i wont get my results.

sPECtre thanks for the tutorials...they are kind of interesting but i really want to do it in illustrator in order to have more control on them.

Thanks
Shay

Samifox, once again it was a communication problem... ;)

If you do the path stroking method, you can adjust it, by going back one step in history, and changing the brush settings... and re-stroking

Try to see if you can change the element in Illustrator to have it "importable" to Photoshop

hi

only if i paste it as a pixel i can see the illustrator dashed line.

i can do it in ps but i wanna figure out how can i do it with the help of illustrator.

Shay

Back