What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with downloaded JPG: Blue letters filled with light & dark pixel patterns

Daanhaeyen

Hi! I have this picture on a site:

site-jpg.jpg

When I download it, and open it in Photoshop, I get this:

psd-jpg.jpg

When I view it with Windows Explorer or even Paint, the image is normal.

What is wrong here? Photoshop is set to RGB, 8 bit/channel.

Here is the JPG file.

Thanks, Daan

Tom Mann

Guru
Hello & welcome to PhotoshopGurus.com!

When I view this webpage in Firefox, IE, and Chrome it looks fine.

I downloaded the jpg file that you linked to, and I also went to the page HTML and downloaded the related file, wtb-logo.jpg. Both of these jpgs look absolutely fine when I open them in PS. Even when I view them at more than 100% magnification in PS, they look exactly as one would expect, ie, a bit of softness and jpg compression artifacts around the edges, but otherwise fine.

That leads me to think that the problem must be either in the way you downloaded the image, or perhaps something is wrong with your installation of Photoshop.

So:

(a) Please tell us exactly how you downloaded the corrupt image.

(b) We need to confirm that your installation of PS is working correctly, so I generated a very similar jpg (along with its PSD file). These two files also look perfect on my system. Please look at these and see if there are any problems with these on your system and let us know.

Cheers,

Tom M

PS - When viewing your file, do you still see the odd pixel patterns that are inside the blue letters if you reduce the magnification to 100% or below?

Attachments

• tjm-test-similar_content.jpg
    tjm-test-similar_content.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 15
  • tjm-test-similar_content-1_layer.psd
    52.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Daanhaeyen

Hello & welcome to PhotoshopGurus.com!

When I view this webpage in Firefox, IE, and Chrome it looks fine.

I downloaded the jpg file that you linked to, and I also went to the page HTML and downloaded the related file, wtb-logo.jpg. Both of these jpgs look absolutely fine when I open them in PS. Even when I view them at more than 100% magnification in PS, they look exactly as one would expect, ie, a bit of softness and jpg compression artifacts around the edges, but otherwise fine.

That leads me to think that the problem must be either in the way you downloaded the image, or perhaps something is wrong with your installation of Photoshop.

So:

(a) Please tell us exactly how you downloaded the corrupt image.

(b) We need to confirm that your installation of PS is working correctly, so I generated a very similar jpg (along with its PSD file). These two files also look perfect on my system. Please look at these and see if there are any problems with these on your system and let us know.

Cheers,

Tom M

PS - When viewing your file, do you still see the odd pixel patterns that are inside the blue letters if you reduce the magnification to 100% or below?

Hi, thanks for the reply. If I save your jpg image (right-click in Chrome, save picture as), I get this in Photoshop:

test-jpg.jpg

So, still strange colors and pixels, even on 100%.

If I download your psd file, I get this at 300% magnification:

test-psd.jpg

Is this blue edge to the text normal?

If I save any other picture from the web, it opens normally in PS. But still horrible pixelezation on this one jpg!

Please notice the two guidelines that appear in this JPG's, Weird!

Attachments

• psd-jpg.jpg
    psd-jpg.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
OK. The colors are definitely mucked up as shown in your screenshots. The top lettering in the top line of the first two screenshots shouldn't be so black - it should be a light blue-cyan, and no, there should be no color fringing at all to any of the letters.

Also, if you don't have any guidelines turned on in PS, but something that looks like normal PS guidelines are nevertheless still appearing in your screenshots, the first thing I would try would be to reset the preference file for your installation of Photoshop. There have been many recent posts on this on this forum, just Google how to do it.

If resetting the PS preference file doesn't work, it could also be some sort of interaction between PS and your graphics card, so try things like (a) making you sure you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card, (b) In PS, turning off PS's use of advanced graphics features like acceleration.

Please let us know how these things turn out.

Tom M

Last edited:

Daanhaeyen

OK. The colors are definitely mucked up as shown in your screenshots. The top lettering in the top line of the first two screenshots shouldn't be so black - it should be a light blue-cyan, and no, there should be no color fringing at all to any of the letters.

Also, if you don't have any guidelines turned on in PS, but something that looks like normal PS guidelines are nevertheless still appearing in your screenshots, the first thing I would try would be to reset the preference file for your installation of Photoshop. There have been many recent posts on this on this forum, just Google how to do it.

If resetting the PS preference file doesn't work, it could also be some sort of interaction between PS and your graphics card, so try things like (a) making you sure you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card, (b) In PS, turning on and off PS's use of advanced graphics features like acceleration.

Please let us know how these things turn out.

Tom M

Turning off the hardware acceleration did the trick! Thanks!!

Tom Mann

Guru
That's GREAT ! ! ! Glad it worked. At the most fundamental level, your accurate description of the problem is what allowed us to come up with the answer so quickly.

If you have some time, stop in again and join the discussion, show us some of your work, etc. We would love to have you..

Cheers,

Tom M