What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Protecting My Website Template With Creative Commons License

Flemingjp

Hi guys,

I've just created my first website template, its nearly passed the design phase now but i want to know how i can protect it from being re-distro by others as i plan to sell it on.

I've looked in a Creative Commons License, as i cant be bothered to wait / fork out some cash.

This is the license i had in mind;

Attribution Non-Commercial (CC-BY-NC):This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, and although their new works must also acknowledge you and be non-commercial

I just want to confirm that this covers these;

* People can use this comercially and non commercially

* People can edit the template, only for non-comercial use

* No-one can re-distro this product,

Also, i heard that work is already copywrited by law as long as proof stands if needed to be proof in court

FINAL THING :

I'm thinking of making a second version which people can do whatever they like, but for a price which is about 15x the copywrited/cc version... Is this a good idea?

Thanks for your time :)

Flemingjp

chrisatlemon

I am not a lawyer, but I know from conversations on my web design list that in the UK as well as in the US a website you create is yours, even if you sell it. Legally your customer has to ask your permission to make any changes to the website, even after you sold it to him. I know it's a ridiculous concept, but that's the way it is. So honestly I don't think you need any licence. As long as you can prove that you created it, it's yours.

I assume that this is an old law covering artwork in general to prevent people from "improving" their Picasso, even after they bought it. If I tried to enforce it I could probably sue every single one of my customers, and lose them all! But this means that technically you do not have to protect yourself against anyone editing your templates. They are yours whatever happens.

(You can of course sell them explicitly stating in the contract that once the transaction is complete alterations are allowed)

Cheers

Chris