What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSD Image went black

moblin

I'm suddenly having trouble with one of my psd files, it's gone completely black and missing all of its layers. No I didn't make it black and flatten it when I saved it. In the thumbnail when you say file>open it looks completely fine but when I open it its just black, even the grey area behind the picture is black.
I'm really annoyed and frustrated cause I was almost finished with the picture...
Has anyone run into this problem before? If it will help I can upload my file to look at.

think the file may be corrupt - however that's just a guess - I could be hopelessly wrong. but if I'm right I don't actually have a solution for you either. I have never had that problem in 10 years - so I really can't help you here from any personal experience. Sorry and I hope it works out for you. I know how it feels to think/know you have lost your design (I have had my photoshop crash on me many times before and had to start all over - its very depressing). I am responding to your post as I am interested to know what it could be. Maybe someone else is the boffin on this subject...?

This won't be solution even if it works (since the layers won't be there), but try renaming the file with jpg extention and see if it will open.

@Laurynnen: My computer has crashed on me a few times while I've been working on it so it could be that its corrupt, but I'm not really sure since I don't usually have glitches in photoshop. I'm just hoping that even if its corrupt it can be saved :(
@Hawkeye: I'll try it.
@Steve: At the moment my internet is too slow to upload it but I've already put the file on mediafire if anyone's willing to look at it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?6p1041jm7vjsxpn

Last edited:
Moblin,
I have just experienced the exact same problem and a search on the web led me to your post. Fortunately I do incremental backups so have not 'lost everything' - but it still a niusance and I can't figure out the reason. Like you, I still get the thumbnail view and the file opens up as black with no layers.

Well I have just run the file through 3 different types of data recovery programs and nothing seems to be wrong with it all though when it is opened all i get is a background layer that is locked and a black image seems very strange for that to hapen when the file is still over 100mb I wouldnt want to get your hopes up and say it will be recovered because I dont think it can from that. Maybe as you have the original file a program like psd repairer may work

Well I found out when right clicking on the file there's a "restore previous versions" tab. This doesn't save the entire picture but its at least far enough along that I wont have to completely start over. I've saved a copy of that one after opening it but I still have the corrupt one as well.

Last edited:

Back