What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSE 9 Organizer Backup Catalog Question

jclark501

Hello,
I have been spending a lot of time tagging and organizing my pictures using PSE 9 Organizer. I am not done yet, but today I decided to backup my progress. I performed a full backup to an external hard drive. This was pretty straignt forward and it catloged every picture into a folder.

Now the incremental backup does have me confused a bit. When I do an incremental save I have to create a new folder that contains I believe an updated index file. So I have one folder with the initial save and a folder for each additional save after that. It just doesn't seem right that as I backup in the future I will create a new folder each time versus just having one folder. Am I doing this right? Also, has anyone ever had to restore from the Catalog Backup? The reason I ask is that I was wondering if I would have to restore each folder individually?

Thank You

I don't know specifically about PSE9 backup but backups in general are usually done with a full backup and 1 or more incremental backups.
The full is obviously a "Full Backup" and the incremental are whatever changed since the last full or incremental backup.
I have over 200GB of photos backed up, if I add an additional 5 GB of files between backups the incremental backs up the 5GB only not the whole new 205GB.

You should be able to control how many incremental you make before making a new "Full Backup".

If you're not comfortable with incremental backups create full backups only but always have at least 2 complete backups at all times.

Back