What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSG and Non-Registered Users...

Laurynnem

Hi

I was browsing the site I noticed that it stated at the bottom

9 members and 103 guests, with 5 spiders

Firstly I was wondering what were spiders?

And Secondly...

It would be great in my opinion if this forum could block unregistered users from not only commenting on posts but viewing them as well. So when they come onto the forum, they see the main page with all the listings and then can view sub listings with the titles, but when they click to view a post they should be prevented from reading the thread until they have registered.

I know this is perhaps a lot to ask for but PSG members numbers will grow considerably if everyone has to register to read advice, tips ect from the members who supply them.

This way when you see 103 guests - there would instead be 103 newly registered PSG members.

Unless this has been tried or whatever and didn't work - but I have seen it on other forums where they tease you with the titles - but you can't view anything of substance until you have register.

Thanks Just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks

iDad

Guru
block views from unregistered seekers for answers , imo not a very good ideas.

Laurynnem

Ok. As I said it was just my two cents. If other forums do it, it cant be that tragic. All I'm saying is that they need to register and be a part of the community to view the info. Its not unheard of.

iDad

Guru
I'm not the owner of the site but I believe transparency only helps keep PSG what it is, if your thinking freelance section should be closed to just registered, maybe that may help but imo you're damned if you do damned if you dont. ....... just a thought

Laurynnem

To each their own i guess... But it will certainly improve the community. Many forum sites (huge ones) have exactly this suggestion in place. They thrive at an astonishing pace - even with this in system - So in my absolute honest opinion - It must work.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Spiders are the search engines browsing around.

As for registering before viewing threads I personally like it the way it is, like you that's just my personal opinion.
I think it works well for this forum.
What I don't like is a site that allows anyone to post.
DSLR.com does that.
I've been a member there for 11 years, they are a large site and they think that works for them.
Go figure!

Vafann

Guru
Hi, I think it´s good the way it is too. the reason I became a member here was because I was looking around the web for an answer to something. I didn´t want to have to become a member of every site I passed through just to look. I found my answer here and was very happy, looking around the different posts I could see what a great and helpful place this was, if I had been blocked from seeing the posts I would probably just have moved on. This way I could see what I was creating an account to, and I thinks it´s really good. :)

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the suggestion.

No one can post/comment here without registering.

Anyone can view posts and find answers here without registering and we will be keeping it that way. I don't feel closing the site off from non-registered users would be of benefit to us.

TerryC

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Friend
Your suggestion as been prodded many times, questioned and answered in every forum on the net. Got some who think they have the best info available they lock the forums from Unwanted guests, in my opinion thats pretty selfish of them. As it has beeen said, we want our visitors to feel welcome and blocking them only discourages them. I have a forum that was that way, and it is offline not being used. Was it from that? Not sure, but I am sure it doesn't work. Thank you for your concerns.

Paul MR

The Script Master
I for one would not frequent a closed forum, as it seems to me that they only what user information. There is no way to see how good a site they were without signing up and that's not going to happen for me.

Burned Ice

Power User
if people really wanna post more than 'i have a question' and 'thanks for the answer bro' they would register, otherwise they just don't even think about it. if everybody would need to register, we would have those 9 members online and 103 more inactive members

Steve

Retired Administrator
.............. I was looking around the web for an answer to something. I didn´t want to have to become a member of every site I passed through just to look.

............ we want our visitors to feel welcome and blocking them only discourages them.

I for one would not frequent a closed forum, as it seems to me that they only what user information. There is no way to see how good a site they were without signing up and that's not going to happen for me.

My thoughts exactly guys. :thumbsup:

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
There are actually a few "hidden" benefits of becoming a member that non-registered users can not get, such as the ability to download attachments. If a guest is viewing a topic and wants to download an attachment such as a PSD, Brush, or other file they will be asked to join before the content is accessible to them.

It is good to have some incentives for guests to join, and suggestions in this regard are always welcome. We just don't want to make a bad experience for guests or non-logged in users.

Hoogle

Guru
I do agree with the free lancing section being blocked to none users or members less than 30 days registered etc

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
I do agree with the free lancing section being blocked to none users or members less than 30 days registered etc

The problem with that is we need it to be open to new users to post jobs there.

iDad

Guru
what you need in that section is STRICK GUIDES on top of each page stating if you post without meeting guide lines for a freelance request you are going to be banned no questions asked no warnings

Hoogle

Guru
yeah I kind of agree I have fell victim to some new users coming to request work to be done etc and then by the looks of it will never show their face on here again until they need something else but I guess we are always going to have people like that every forum does