What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question About the Pen Tool and Creating a Path

Rich54

Guru
Hope I can state this question clearly. I'm trying to figure out how to assure that the adjustment handles on a particular anchor point exactly form a straight line with each other, rather than having one handle going off at an angle vs. the other handle.

In the illustration below, in the first path I simply grabbed the anchor point and dragged to the right. The two adjustment handles are automatically of identical length and are perfectly in line with each other (which creates a perfectly smooth curve).

However, in the second path, suppose I want to drag the right adjustment handle further to the right. I can do this manually, but then the adjustment handle is free to pivot up or down and I can only hope that I have kept the two handles exactly in line with each other. If they are not precisely in line, you get somewhat of a cusp rather than a smooth curve.

Is there any way to manually drag just one of the adjustment handles, yet still force both of them to be exactly in line?

Pen Tool Example.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Yes....use the WHITE 'Direct Selection' tool...

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Rich54

Guru
Yes! That does exactly what I want. I've been using Photoshop every day for six years and I never knew those Black and White selection tools even existed. I'll have to read up on those---I have no idea what they're about. Thank you.

MrToM

Guru
No worries...(See added Video in first post)

The White 'Direct Selection' allows you to select individual nodes or SEGMENTS (lines between nodes) or any combination thereof.

The Black 'Path Selection' tool allows you to select the whole path in one go.

There are a whole heap of Ctrl, Shift and Alt key combinations that go with these two very unassuming tools......its best to just try them holding down different combinations of Ctrl, Alt and Shift to see what does what.....its a real mind boggler!!!!

You can for instance start off using the Black one and via certain key combos end up with the White one!

Play around with it....you'll soon see why I've not told what does what and when......or even how! LOL.

It'll keep you amused for days! :rofl:

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
"Is there any way to manually drag just one of the adjustment handles, yet still force both of them to be exactly in line?"

Yes, with the Pen Tool still in use, just hold the Cmd/Cntrl key and click on the handle.

hawkeye

Guru
"Is there any way to manually drag just one of the adjustment handles, yet still force both of them to be exactly in line?"

Yes, with the Pen Tool still in use, just hold the Cmd/Cntrl key and click on the handle.

Is that new with CC? It was never available before.

hawkeye

Guru
Are we both talking about an existing point? Not on my CS6, nor according to the help files. Using the Ctrl key with the pen tool is just a shortcut to the direct selection tool.

Attachments

• Untitled20150424103430.png
    Untitled20150424103430.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 14

MrToM

Guru
...Yes, with the Pen Tool still in use, just hold the Cmd/Cntrl key and click on the handle...
Sam is right, works for me in both CC 2014 and CS3 (Extended).

Thanks Sam.

Regards.
MrTom.

hawkeye

Guru
We must not be talking about the same thing. Even the Adobe help file (I posted it) says it doesn't work that way.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@hawkeye

No, we are talking about moving the handles in line together and not the handles simultaneously in length.

By pressing the Cmd/Cntrl key, you can move either handle and maintain the straight alignment of the two handles connected to the point, but, the handle you choose can be lengthened or shortened and the other will remain the same length.

edit: I realize what your referring to. I answered a specific question as it was asked. You can maintain the straight alignment, but you would have to move the two handles separate from one another in order to continue the "smooth curve"...............my fault for not explaining better.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK.............If you want to EDIT a point and you want to maintain the straight line as well as have the handles move simultaneously, hold the Option/Alt ke and click on the point itself. Essentially you are starting from the beginning.

hawkeye

Guru
@hawkeye

No, we are talking about moving the handles in line together and not the handles simultaneously in length.

By pressing the Cmd/Cntrl key, you can move either handle and maintain the straight alignment of the two handles connected to the point, but, the handle you choose can be lengthened or shortened and the other will remain the same length.

edit: I realize what your referring to. I answered a specific question as it was asked. You can maintain the straight alignment, but you would have to move the two handles separate from one another in order to continue the "smooth curve"...............my fault for not explaining better.

Well as I suspected, we were talking about two different things. You had me confused for a minute.