What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on copying part of a layer fx

SPWA

Power User
I had a situation earlier where I had about 50 layers, each with there own specific layer fx, but then I wanted to add a color outline to all of them.

Now, because the other fx are all different, is there a way I can just copy the stroke to all layers, instead of entering every layer, one by one, & setting it manually.

Hi SPWA,

You can kind of do it but it's still a little laborious.

1. Expand the fx with the 'stroke' in it.
2. Hold down 'Alt' (or mac eq) and click and drag JUST the [word] 'stroke' from its layer and drop it on another layer.
(The cursor should have the letters 'fx' under it as you drag.)
3. Repeat for the other layers.

This should copy JUST the stroke and add it to any other fx in the layer.
The other layers do NOT need to be opened.
You can use any layer with the 'stroke' to copy from, so when you run out of room in the panel just drag from another layer.

If at any time you need to copy ALL the fx to another layer use Alt+click+drag on the 'fx' label...on the right of the layer....no need to open either source or target fx.

(You can also use this method to duplicate a layer too.)

It's not an 'ideal' solution but I'm not aware of any other method of just copying a single fx to another layer. To be honest, although not ideal it's surprisingly quick once you get going.

Regards.
MrTom.

Back