What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Filter "Fractalius"

TimothyKim

Hello to PGurus! This my 1st Post & I am thankful for the resource(s) offered here!
My ?: I have MacBook Pro Ver. 10.6.8 w/ 8 gig RAM. The filter " Fractalius " only works on Windows. They will not make a Mac Version. So, can I run Photoshop CS-5 Extended through VirtualBox Ver. 4.16 software with XP on it (which I already have used to run Microsoft "Access" DataBase software), and be able to use this filter for my projects? Or is there any better way to achieve the same result? Thank You for your advice.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it.
I'm not a Mac person,,but you ask "So, can I run Photoshop CS-5 Extended through VirtualBox Ver. 4.16 software with XP on it (which I already have used to run Microsoft "Access" DataBase software), and be able to use this filter for my projects? Or is there any better way to achieve the same result? Thank You for your advice."

Is it that your just contemplating getting the filter and trying to figure out if this will work or not?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
......So, can I run Photoshop CS-5 Extended through VirtualBox Ver. 4.16 software with XP on it, and be able to use this filter for my projects?.......

If this is a virtual PC emulator, it should work.

....Or is there any better way to achieve the same result?....

Fractalius is a dated effect. You could try something a little more current.

TimothyKim

Yes, it's an amazing filter but I don't want to buy it only to find out that I need a newer version of windows or whatever. Maybe a better question would be: will XP run PS CS-5 through VirtualBox software?

TimothyKim

What filter is more updated and / or current or equivalent / or better? Or is there a similar fractal filter specifically for Mac's?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
"Maybe a better question would be: will XP run PS CS-5 through VirtualBox software?"

Don't know about that.

I have a friend that runs CS6 through Virtual PC on his iMac.

When I say that Fractalius is dated, I mean its an old outdated effect. It's a cool effect..........it's just been around awhile. Don't let me discourage you though, that's not my intent, if you like it, go for it.

MrToM

Guru
Why not just try the Fractalius demo on whatever virtual MS OS set-up you have on your Mac?

Then you'll know for sure....or is it not that simple?

Regards.
MrTom.

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW, I don't know of any filter that does exactly what Fractalius does. As far as I know, the only filter of more recent vintage that produces similar efx is Topaz Clean, but you have to have the curly slider (whatever it's called - LOL) turned up to "11", and then run the image through the filter 2 or 3 times to get it even close. Unfortunately, doing so doesn't come close to what Fractalius does. Because of situations like this, and because there are so many great, older filters and plugins that don't run on 64 bit Photoshop, I actually keep a 32 bit CC version of PS also installed on my machine and have many of the old but useful filters from the past installed on it. There are some filters that need an even older edition of 32 bit PS to run, but I'm must confess, I haven't felt the need for them so I don't have any older editions of PS installed, but could easily do so if the need arose.

Tom M

PS - Sorry, but I'm not a Mac guy, so I can't give any advice on PC OS emulators that run on the Mac.

Tom Mann

Guru
IamSam - "When I say that Fractalius is dated, I mean its an old outdated effect. It's a cool effect..........it's just been around awhile...."

IMHO, that's the problem with most "effects", especially the really obvious and over-used ones ( e.g., all the different actions to simulate warm veiling flare for romantic pix, two color glass and PS filters for landscapes, etc.). After a few years, they start seeming as outdated as hippie-era clothing, afro haircuts, etc. That's why I try to keep to the straight and narrow for bread and butter photography (eg, weddings, corporate events, etc.). You can go a bit more wild in some types of advertising, but still my feeling is "less is more" in photography, so long as you have a good image to start with and you're not just using efx to cover up a poorly shot, poorly composed, etc. starting image.

Just my $0.20 (note ...the value was temporarily increased just for this topic, LOL).

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Hey, Tim - In case you are still around, it turns out that by total coincidence, Topaz just released a new plugin called, "Glow", that seems to produce output that looks a lot like "Fractalius", AND it should run on a Mac. I have zero personal experience with it, so I can't any more info, but it might be something you might like to try. I think they are allowing a free trial period:

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...ack-time-topaz.html?highlight=#post1533700526

Good luck with it.

Tom M