What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question regarding opacity

oodya

Hello all,

I have a watermark on my Illustrator file that I have set the opacity to 10%. Behind that watermark, I would like to have a full pattern, but would not like it to show over the watermark.

As per the attached file, the red is my watermarked 10% opacity layer and the lines in grey running through it, I would like it to not clash with the red.

What is the best way for me to do this?

Thank you!

watermark - illustrator.jpg

polarwoc

Guru
Select your Grey line pattern by Control+Clicking on the Pattern layer. Once you have a selection, click on your Watermark layer and then select Layer Mask.

This will show the background pattern without your watermark showing up on it.

But, as Sam pointed out, it is akin to locking up your valuables safe but leaving the key just beside it. Anyone who wants to steal your work would just select the pattern and get it - so why bother watermarking?

thebestcpu

Guru
HI @oodya
I think @IamSam and @polarwoc have you covered if your 10% opacity Layer is a watermark to avoid copying of your work.
If the watermark is for some other purpose such as a signature or other other info that you don't want to be intrusive, you can use the masking approach as @polarwoc suggested and here is an adobe helpx fille on that topic: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/crop-using-masks.html

Another approach that wold work is to put the gray image layer on top of the red Layer. This works assuming that the gray Layer is 100% opacity.
Hope the incremental information is helpful
John Wheeler

JJLAPIN

Guru
If you do not want to use making simply put your Watermark on the top Layer.
Copy your Watermark and paste it in place on a layer beneath it and fill it with white.:cool: