What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

quick question - combining anchor points

chrisatlemon

hi all,

Probably a stupid question: how can I combine two anchor points which form part of a shape? I know I can drag a marquee around the two points with the direct selection tool.

Then, according to the help file, an icon should appear which I can simply click to combine the two anchor points.

I don't see it!!!! Where?

Basically my two anchor points sit on top of each other and I want to turn them into a single anchor point...

Probably very silly, but it's been driving me mad for the last hour or so ;)

Thanks for any tips

Chris

Hoogle

Guru
cant you just use the penn tool and put it on subtract mode and just delete the extra anchor point

SeniorS

Guru
As Hoogleman said just delete extra point with pen tool (which shows minus, it actually turn on automaticly when pen tool is over anchor point).
Or select one or more points and press right mouse button (flyout menu). First in a row is Delete...

Or question isn't about it at all?

chrisatlemon

Hi again,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I can just delete, but I actually join two lines there. So if I delete one of the points, one of the lines disappears. I Want to join the two lines so they make one and I would like that anchor point to have the handles on both sides so I can control the lines on its left and right... So I really need to combine the two anchor points and make them one. From what I understand this is possible, I just can't find the little icon thingy to click. Or the shortcut. Or which menu to look in ... :)

Apparently you can even choose to anchor points which are a part and combine them. Circle a Marquee around them with the direct selection tool and hit the "combine" button which I can't find. They are then drawn together automatically

I have actually worked around it in my shape, and I am fine. it's just that it's been bothering me, I googled and read help files and I just can't figure it out ... which drives me nuts, lol :)

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:

SeniorS

Guru
You talking about PS? I don't know such thing in PS. You can do it Illustrator (i think) but PS isn't so advanced in path and outlines (and again, i think).

SeniorS

Guru
Anyway chrisatlemon you should know how things work here.
Better post one file with little explanation than a big explanation alone :)

chrisatlemon

You're probably right, it's probably an illustrator thing!

Okay, this is just theory now. I just quickly created a shape: View attachment badge.psd

Two halves, joined them together and now in the middle of the outline, top and bottom, you will find to anchor points in the exact same space. How can merge the two halves so that it is one entire shape and that the central anchor point controls the lines extending from it?

Of course there are ways around it. I solved it by simply redrawing the shape. But it would still be nice to know if there is a way to "fuse" several parts of a shape and combine overlapping anchor points in photo shop.

Cheers

Chris

SeniorS

Guru
Yep, i see a problem.
In PS i don't find Join option for achor points.

But what would Brian Boitano do if he was here right now? :)
1. Add anchor point on that central line (it does matter on which half it goes).
2. Press delete it (that should delete that point and one of central lines).
3. Select other central line and do step 1 and step 2.
4. Now click on one of anchor point (in upper middle or badge edge)
5. Move little pen tool and click. Can take few times to get right point. That will join those two points (not quite join but make path between them, making them on one path/shape). Better do it at maximum zoom.
6. Do it with others two.

Here how it looks now : View attachment badge.psd

Thats almost all you can do with it. Now it is one path/shape no holes no dublicated path/shapes. But still have two anchor points almost one on other.
I've would left that.
Of course, you can try and delete one of them but if you try you'll see that now you'll need to adjust angle and restore shape and no guaranty that new shape will be absolutly symetric.

Illustrator at other hand have "Join" option. But it have some restictions. And i didn't sucseed easy way. I had to delete central lines before "Join" started to work. So for that one no much diference where you'll do it in PS or Il.

Paul

Former Member
Can't you just right click and delete path?

SeniorS

Guru
That's not what he want. He wants to create solid symetric shape which are made from two halfs.

chrisatlemon, actually you don't have to join those anchor points just delete central lines and shape will be usable.
Problem with greyish line is because those anchor point aren't 100% overlaying each other. Move one half (or only points at center for 1px. Line will go away.

chrisatlemon

Thanks again SeniorS!

I have been playing around with shapes for the last couple of days because I had a lot of design work. And all of a sudden I did find that elusive "combine" button.

it appears in your top toolbar when you use the "path selection tool". I did some more googling, and I found this:

Adobe Photoshop CS5 * Adjust path components

Merge overlapping path components

1. Select the path name in the Paths panel, and select the Path Selection tool
    P_Select_Lg_N.png
  2. Click Combine in the options bar to create a single component from all overlapping components.

It's not exactly what I've been looking for, but I knew there was something I was missing! At least now, thanks to you, and thanks to what I found on the net I have some clarity and tranquillity in my mind :)

Cheers

Chris

SeniorS

Guru
Intresting ... I didn't know that. But it didn't join path (for me). Or i totally miss something. No anchor point removed, just worked like "group".
And for your example badge it didn't worked at all.