What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raster to Vector

Randy

Is there a way to turn a Raster image into a Vector image without a whole lot of hassle? I have both PS and IL, though a newbie at both.
Thanks!

Randy

Maybe I should try to be a tad more specific. My other hobby is Atari video games, the Jaguar in paritcular. I would like to turn some of the images from the games into posters or T-shirts, or print in general. Take my avatar for example. Can I buy a specific program to "Vectorize" these images, or can I manage this between PS7 and IL10?
Thanks again,
-Randy "Virgina Jaguar" Femrite

fdeaton

Look at Adobe Streamline. I've never used it, but have heard some good things!

wbiss

Guru
Randy... there are options 'out there'. Do a google search "raster to vector software" and see what they are. ;) I just can't recommend any as I don't use them... [honesty]

samifox

Hi

Give some credit to psp!

Open an image and apply the Cutout filter. than with the magnification tool select homoganic areas and Ctrl + Shift + J will place them in indevedual layer.so you can control their propoties.

this cannot turn them REALLY to vector but its nice if you know how to make a demo vector by using psp.

Shay

Erik

Guru
Good remark, Shay. Corel Photopaint and PaintShopPro doe have some options and handy tools PS misses.

Good vectoring tools are to be found in the CorelDRAW suite, but the best one can be found in XaraX. And you get the best and easiest vector drawing tool with it for free. Unfortunately only PC, and no change is in view. If I'm not mistaken, Xara has a fully working trial download. And you find loads of tuts and superb info on www.xaraxone.com and at www.talkgraphics.com they have a very good and active forum.

theKeeper, Gaussian and I are Xara users, and there will probably be more of us around here.

Xara can output as AI that can easily be opened in C4D8 etc. Its weakness is when you use it for print/offset. Not because it's not good enough, but because of its futuristic options that even InDesign can't handle. Yet you can simply output as tiff after drawing. With one of the best anti-aliasing tools available. It can also handle pixel images like the ones we play with in Photoshop, and its transparancy tool is UNSURPASSED.

And all this for a very reasonable price which includes a CD with video tuts and many top quality fonts.

THE Valentine present! :D