What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rasterizing Layer Effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribs

How would you "rasterize" the layer effects? So that instead of it being the object with the effects on it its just the individual pixels with no effects on them... does that make sense?

101jinx101

create a blank layer above the one you want to rasterize, then, on the blank layer, go to layer > merge down. That gets rid of the effects.

Welles

Guru
Well Ribs found a good tutorial on how to use the Create Layers command but I thought I'd chime in here. Often I want to 'flatten' all the effects of a layer so I can then run a second filter on that particular layer. 101jinx101 was heading in the right direction but there is an oddity with the Merge Down command. If you have highlighted the styled layer which you wish to 'flatten' and create a new blank layer above it, the default new layer action, and then try Merge Down, the styles remain intact. If you place a new blank layer below the layer you wish to flatten and Merge Down, you get the expected 'flattening' of the layer styles. You can also highlight the styled layer, create a new layer, link the two and merge linked to get the 'flattened' result.

A little caution is in order when using this technique. Outer Glows and Drop Shadows may not work the way you expect because the blend modes have been eliminated in the 'flattening' process.

Erik

Guru
What I like is to right-click (Cmd-click on the mac) on the word "effects below the layer, and then choose "create layers" and "scale effects".

jepler

create a blank layer above the one you want to rasterize, then, on the blank layer, go to layer > merge down. That gets rid of the effects.

Brilliant! Exactly the workaround I needed to create drop shadows with various angles to mimic shading in a painted frame of 17th century artwork. Thanks a million, mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.