What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real Wood Scans

Welles

Guru
For some time now I've considered scanning real wood samples for use in Photoshop images. Finally... here are the first 6. Who knows when or if I'll do any more but I thought to offer them for others to use without any restrictions.

I picked particularly nice samples of the six woods, sanded them to a fine smoothness with the last step being 600 grit sandpaper, and finished them with Armorall which does a fine job of bringing out the lustre of newly sanded wood without adding any discoloration or shine so often found in other finishes. Also some woods, like paduk, are a brilliant color when first worked but begin to change color from oxidation and UV rays almost immediately. Paduk changes from the brilliant orange/red to a deep, rich, brown with red/orange overtones within months when finished with almost any other product. What I used retards that process so it takes a year or two.

The samples were scanned with a flatbed scanner at 600dpi and color corrected only as much necessary to match the actual sample which was being viewed in indirect natural light. For the sake of file size, I ended up resizing the scans to 300dpi and saved them as JPEGs at the maximum setting which doesn't add compression artifacts. As a result the files are about half of a PSD or TIFF format yet, careful study of a comparison TIFF shows no difference in image quality at a magnification of 1200%.

If you should like any of the wood scan files, you can find them here...

http://homepage.mac.com/wellesgoodrich/FileSharing1.html

The largest one is 10.8mb but with a high speed connection will take less than 2 minutes to download as the file sharing site is on Apple servers and they have great bandwidth.

Below you'll find a sample picture of the actual wood images. Each sample is a small cropped portion of the whole image which you may download.

Cheers!

Many thanks, Welles. I'm going after them now.

Iro.

Thanks a lot thats really cool! I think i'll use the Zebra wood sometime! Man you Mac folks have it nice with your file sharing servers and bright monitors and an ethical company and the like!

Many thanks Welles, I don't have this resource at hand so I appreciate your sharing nature... like you said it will come in handy and yes it will :perfect: now I am off after them now :D
sfm

Excellent :perfect: ...thankyou :D

You made a very nice job of removing the lighting as well Welles :perfect:

Stu.

Many thanks Welles... I'm sure these will come in very handy :perfect:

:perfect: :perfect: hear! hear!

Tx Welles for sharing!

Back