What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Realistic background replacement

Trell

Hi. I was pointed to this forum by a good friend, who suggested that it would be the best place to post this...so here goes!

I'm looking for a candidate with excellent background replacing skills. I need several cars transplanted to new backgrounds - sometimes the cars will be standalone renders, sometimes they will need to be cutout from original backgrounds.

The most important part of this job is getting the depth, shadows, highlights and reflections right, the car itself needs to look like it belongs there. I only say this because I have already had several mockups that were, in short, atrocious.

The cars will all be high end cars (think ferrari, lamborghini, top gear speed test type cars) and the backgrounds will all be along the lines of industrial locations, garages, lockups etc.

In total there will be roughly 10 finished pictures needed in total, and provided you work well and to the constraints of the project, it could possibly lead to more regular work.

If you are interested, I will (as the first course of action) need a mockup based on the outlines above, and we can progress from there.

The deadline for me seeing a mockup is, unfortunately, today, or very early tomorrow morning. This is due to being let down by several people already. The actual project itself will have a more lenient timescale, and you will be provided with stock photos for the image and backgrounds.

iDad

Guru
Cars my favorite chop block ;)

Trell

Contact me via pm on this board, or trell[at]gamerfm.co.uk.

Prices negotiable on seeing examples/mockup, and image to use as mockup can be provided on request.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Can you post up an example pic that could be used for a mock up?

iDad, you have any examples of the cars you have done?? I love looking at other peoples creations, it can be very inspiring!!

@Trell, Email sent!

iDad

Guru
did a lot of signatures they are @ my website got an example from him ...... 72 dpi into 300 dpi, angles all wrong for manipulation. pretty crazy work for 25.

Tron

Guru
Hmm, that's going to be a lot of work on the reflections/lighting on the car.

Is this job $25 per image and you have a lot of images that need to be done?

iDad

Guru
Tron,
I asked the same thing via PM.no reply

iDad

Guru
I also thought about this awhile , the lighting, reflections, etc etc .forget the background so much cut that out a lot
I played around with a few layers and the modes to cut out refltions and overexposed area (didn't bother with shadow) ended up with different color.........just as a learning experiment ;)
View attachment 550=

Trell

I did clarify a couple of things via pm with iDad, and I'll clarify here - it will probably be ~10 images, and subject to a decent proof photo could lead to more work. After a mockup, the photos provided will all be stock photos - ie; decent source.

I did send those two photos out to a couple of people, but in each email I did stress 100% that I know the car is awful to work with due to the lightings and reflections on it currently. Feel free to provide your own better source car, as long as it is a 'high end' car.

iDad and Steve, thanks for the mock upd so far.

hawkeye

Guru
The lighting is just all wrong. The background scene shows an overcast almost shadowless day (soft light), as the building is very evenly lit. The car photos are just the opposite, they were obviously taken with very hard light, and so they are not evenly lit. As is, the two just don't mix and will never be convincing. The angle and type of lighting should be the same for all objects. The buildings aren't casting a shadow, so why would the car cast a shadow?

To make it reasonably convincing, would require replacing the white sky with a sunny sky and adding the required shadowing to the buildings as well as the car. Or the reverse of that, which would be removing the sunny glare from the cars. Neither of which will alter the fact that the car is photographed from a very different angle.

iDad

Guru
the shadow under the car , shouldn't be there?. you surprise me?

maybe no a real dark one but pretty sure one would be there.

Last edited:

hawkeye

Guru
the shadow under the car , shouldn't be there?. you surprise me?

maybe no a real dark one but pretty sure one would be there.

Do you see any shows from the buildings? You put a shadow in front of the car, there are none in front of the buildings.

Last edited:

iDad

Guru
it's under the car as would be if the building were 6/8 inches off the ground.I would assume,no?

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
It would be a very soft shadow if there was one visible at all.

To get the idea, go outside on a clear sunny day... look at the ground and you see harsh shadows everywhere. Then go out on an overcast day where there is no direct sunlight and you see almost no shadows. If you do see shadows they are soft and diffused.

From the looks of the pic, that's an overcast day and the shadows should be minimal.

Just my .02

hawkeye

Guru
I'll stand corrected:

I should have been clearer and said similar shadows for the lighting conditions. You have two totally different lighting conditions in each photo.

The angle of the light source is such that there is no visible shadow anywhere on or around the building. That indicates a light source directly overhead, plus cloudy day light is very soft and casts very little shadow. That's why cloudy days are great for portait shots.

The shadow then should be directly under the car and not cast in front, and would be very slight.