What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reducing Image Size

blackystrat

Hello

I am new to Photoshop and making some designs for Print on Demand items like shirts, mugs etc

The problem I am running into is with the final image size of the PNG files. The designs I create contain few layers (5-6) and maybe a vector but while exporting, the size is going up to like 15-20 Mb. While that is still within permissible image size for these POD websites but I am wondering if something could be done to reduce the final image size.

The designs I am creating are 4500 x 5400 with 300 DPi and exporting in PNG24 format. I am not even sure if 15 mb file size is normal for an image of such resolution.

Please advise

Thanks

Last edited:
First of all, are you trying to preserve a transparency? If not, you might want to consider saving out the image as a PDF file. Also, try flattening your image in a separate file and see if it saves you some file size.

Just adding to @JazzyScotsman 's excellent advise that large file sizes are normal in design. You could also try complressing the file before sending it to the client. Here is some info on why PNG occupies more space on disk. 'Save for web' is an option you might want to consider while exporting if quality is not an issue printing on small items like mugs and souvenirs.

First of all, are you trying to preserve a transparency? If not, you might want to consider saving out the image as a PDF file. Also, try flattening your image in a separate file and see if it saves you some file size.

Yes, transparency is must for these designs and so I can't flatten them, unless there is a way to flatten without losing transparency. Thanks

Just adding to @JazzyScotsman 's excellent advise that large file sizes are normal in design. You could also try complressing the file before sending it to the client. Here is some info on why PNG occupies more space on disk. 'Save for web' is an option you might want to consider while exporting if quality is not an issue printing on small items like mugs and souvenirs.

I actually don't need to send these to anyone. I am designing for myself. Just wanted to know if there is a way to reduce the size so that they upload faster. Thanks

Try using the 'Save for Web & Devices' feature to optimize your image and save it in one of the higher PNG formats.

Yes sir, that's what I do anyway. Sorry forgot to mention in my previous post. I guess that means that's what the size is supposed to be and I am not doing anything wrong that is increasing it, right? Thanks

One other point. Umm.. I just noted that you've been saving as a PNG24. Have you tried saving as just a standard PNG?

One other point. Umm.. I just noted that you've been saving as a PNG24. Have you tried saving as just a standard PNG?

No I didn't try because I was told to save as PNG24 as that's the best format for prints. Would saving in PNG8 be equally good as PNG24 when it comes to printing the design on shirts?

Back