What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Controlled Passenger Aircrafts

chitkaran

Guru
Hi All,

I was wondering what do you think about Air Traffic being fully automated. The Passenger Airplanes can be automated to take passengers from Point A to Point B without any hassles of Pilot of co-Pilot. This would require some super complex computer programs and some state-of-the-art technology, but it just imagine how many of our problems can be solved with this.

Since it is a computer guided program - the weather/Fog/clouds would have near Zero effect as it makes a Human pilot hard to see where he is heading.

All the airplanes would communicate with each other and would know where on Runway they need to land.... or who is at the runway.. There is a airplane coming to clear the runway... and all sorts of things... The ATC towers could be replaced too.. Lolz... The runway lights can be turned on automatically when an Airplane is approaching and the sensors feel that the light is not enough.

In case of a program failure, there could be a remote controlled access to the plane where a human pilot sitting inside a room loaded with screens to take camera feeds from the Cameras mounted on plane and all other necessary gadgets - can take control of the plane and help it land safely on the ground.

What do you guys say ??

inkpad.t

Guru
I couldn't go into detail with this one, but i just think an automated system has to many areas for failure and for disaster.

Every aircraft, every airport or landing field in the world would need the software and hardware for it.

I think the weather would remain a factor.. could the software balance the planes wing levels and direction in high winds or running into storms, what if the cameras went down if hit by lightning, and so much more...

I think if a pilot is going to sit in a room and do remote control if there is a system fail then he might as well be sat in the plane.
Would we need a pilot for every plane on a remote control ? just think of how may aircraft land at 1 airport in a day. again if a pilot is needed for every aircraft he might as well be in the cot-pit.

I'm all for technology and moving forward but some things must stay in human hands.

One thing that did cross my mind would be to have the pilots as normal but introduce this system as an guidance aid, if it fails then the pilot carries on as normal

ibclare

Queen Bee
Scary is what I think. Any robotic system without manual override and review is just too dangerous to contemplate. Even our water supply needs human overview. The traffic lites are automated but even they are reviewed regularly. I'm personally wary of the whole "HAL" scenario. (the movie 2001)

chitkaran

Guru
Well Yes Inkpad, the automated system does have areas of failure. However, once the test flight are done and the related parties are sure that it would work without fail, then these can be taken into action.

To start off, as you mentioned also, these can be used as a Pilot assist tool but the pilot would remain silent and let the software fly the plane. The pilot shall intervene once the ATC thinks that the plane is not behaving as desired.

Also, for winds and other cloudy calamities, the software knows to follow a path to go from Point A to B, if it gets off-track then Yes, the wings can be adjusted by our Artificial intelligent pilot software to get the Plane back on track.

Once the testing would complete and the system starts to functional like any other human pilot, there won't be a necessity to have Onr pilot for every Aircraft - they would be required in-case of system failure.

Clare: This sounds scary but if you see - human intervention is a factor here too, and yes all automated systems have manual overrides but the goal is to minimise the need of Human intervention and the system should be self dependant to cater itself when it has a Situation.

Well, this is my idea for an Automated system and I wish I had the technological know how to develop and implement such stuff.. Lolz

inkpad.t

Guru
Who ever was to design and implement a system like this would become welthy to say the least, but my concern would be those that lost their jobs while some one else gets rich...

I know this happens the world over but its so sad ....I hate to see the suffering people go through when loosing there jobs.

inkpad.t

Guru
yeh.. terrorist... tanks...etc..etc.. never thought about that.

What about cell doors ?.... prissons... sanatariums..yeh... my way out...

Dam spell checkin not working again

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Clare: This sounds scary but if you see - human intervention is a factor here too, and yes all automated systems have manual overrides but the goal is to minimise the need of Human intervention and the system should be self dependant to cater itself when it has a Situation.

WARNING: CONSPIRACY THEORIST IN OPERATION: It's all a huge conspiracy to put people out of work and replace us with robots. AAhhh, I saw this day coming. So did the other visionary George Orwell! :rofl:

The end of the world is coming. I have seen it. Repent sinners! The zombies are coming and they will doom the human race. Hug your pets, kiss your babies.

Hazard.jpg

Last edited: