What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove artifacts from scanned book

kiltro

Hello everyone!

What's the best way (or multiple ways) to remove these artificats (the scans are from a book) and get a solid color as much as possible?

Senza titolo-1.jpg

Thanks

it appears to me to be the printers "screen" matrix... I can't seem to open the image to examine better. if that is the case, and I scan books all the time, but at high res, try using the 'median' filter, as shown. but use a very low setting. try from 1 and work up to 3 or 4. it is a sort of Gaussian blur for solid colours and highlights only. regards, Sandy

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 15.12.35pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 15.12.15pm.jpg

forgot to add, that if this is too strong in area that don't need it, try selecting the ares that you want done, with the magic wand or area selection, etc, and then just apply the filter to that. one method I use is to duplicate the layer, and then apply the filter, and it is is too strong in some areas, just erase holes though that layer to see the sharper layer below. regards, Sandy

Hello everyone!

What's the best way (or multiple ways) to remove these artificats (the scans are from a book) and get a solid color as much as possible?

View attachment 128327

Thanks
Hi @kiltro and welcome to PSGurus.
You are right there are many ways to approach smoothing out a background.
Often the challenge is how to smooth the background and not smooth out or remove parts of the image you do not want disturbed.

In your above image, since it appears there is nothing that actually needs to be saved from the image, one could just create from scratch a solid color page with a black bar across.

However, I suspect you would have more challenging images where the scan of the book would have lots of content you would want left saved and possibly undisturbed. You might get more targeted responses if you provided a more challenging scan with more material that needs to saved along with the background you want smoothed out.
Just a suggestion
John Wheeler

Back