What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove ball and boot

hernaman

7564676aaadfe01ae2c3238b99b28eeb.jpg
How would I go about removing the ball and boot in this image and then continue the outline of the shirt?

The best way to go about that would probably be to select the ball and the shoe and fill them with the Content-Aware Fill, then cloning another section of the shirt and blending it into the bottom. (I do not use Photoshop, so unfortunately I cannot provide screenshots, but it's simple enough.)

In Photoshop, you would probably have a hard time removing the ball and boot with content aware fill. I would approach it from a more traditional technique that's sure to work

Create a new layer above the original. Select/Highlight this layer.
I would start with the Pen Tool making an outline of the low/missing portion of the jersey.
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 1.58.36 AM.png

Right click and make a selection.
I would then Use the Clone Stamp Tool and the Brush Tool to fill in the selection.
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 2.03.45 AM.png

Using the Brush Tool, match the shading.
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 2.14.11 AM.png

It will be almost impossible to match the gradation of the background...........so let's borrow from the top and use that to cover the remaining ball and boot.

Select/highlight the original layer and use the Rectangular Marquis Tool to make a selection of the upper portion of this image. Once you have the selection hit Cmd/Cntrl + J to copy the selection to it's own layer. Move the copied layer to the top of the layer stack.
Hit Cmd/Cntrl + T and flip vertical. Use the Move Tool to move it down into position. You will find positioning easier if you lower the layers opacity.
Remember, your tring to match the gradient in the background.
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 2.25.29 AM.png

Once you have it lined up, add a layer mask to the layer. Use the Brush Tool to blend.
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 2.25.59 AM.png

All that's left to do is to Clone out the top of the ball. Use your Pen Tool path you made earlier, turn it into a selection again and invert it by hitting Shift + Cmd/Cntrl + I, this will mask out the area of the jersey so you don't have to worry about messing it up.
Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 9.39.43 PM.png

The rest is Clone and Brush work to finish off the ball and the duplicated text!
Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 6.17.26 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi Sam, thanks very much. That is simply awesome. Those techniques will help me out alot.

Sorry for the delay in answering, I have been very busy with work.

Once again thank you, I really appreciate it. @IamSam

Ok, so a new day...a new kit.

fa4a67fcce07e7efeb1ba553c88852b1.png

This is where I am at

I am completely unsure how do match the shading.

Original picture below

eaa8a8fb43edb692ba8ad995544b4fb2.jpg

PSD file attached

Attachments

• eaa8a8fb43edb692ba8ad995544b4fb2.psd
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
Ok, this Kit is much easier to fill in than the first.

I'm not sure how you how you reached the point you have so far, but your off to a great start.

I really cant explain how I color match and blend ..............all I can tell you is that I use the Clone Stamp Tool (CST) and the Brush Tool (BT). It's a matter of watching what your doing and trying to clone the same textures and colors without repeating elements. Once you have your selection,
use the CST and work in very small areas while zoomed in fairly close. Take your time. It's OK if your colors are too light or slightly dark, as long as the basic color is close.

Use the BT to match the shading.

Here is my preliminary work before I start the dark shading and highlighting.
I have some more blending to do at the top edge.
Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 6.34.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 6.34.32 PM.png

Will post more later.

Here is my favorite brush I like to use to add textured shading.

Attachments

• TextureBrush01.abr
    31.3 KB · Views: 1
Here's the bottom of the Kit mostly done, blended, highlighted and shaded with my favorite brush tool.
Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 8.53.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 8.55.33 PM.png

Next we need to clone out the boot and ball.

First lets create a a stamped visible layer from what we already have. This way, we're preserving all the previous work we have done just in case we need to make changes.

Select/highlight the uppermost active layer and hit Shift + Opt/Alt + Cmd/Cntrl + E.......this will merge all visible layers to it's own target layer.

Use your original path to create a selection. Then hit Shift + Cmd/Cntrl + I to invert the selection.

Now it's just a matter of getting to work with the Clone Stamp Tool (CST).
This is what I call blocking. I just do a rough block doing my best to preserve surrounding colors.
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.01.57 PM.png

Next I use a soft round brush with the following settings:
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.06.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.06.54 PM.png

I use these brush setting to slowly match the color and shading. I sample the colors often.
On a new layer I add the strong shadow at the bottom of the Kit.

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.13.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.15.53 PM.png

Back