What's new

Removing difficult backgrounds

Scientist

Hi all,

I'm using Photoshop CS3 to prepare images for a scientific field guide (for print). I need to clip out complex images of corals and place them on a black background. I have tried a few different techniques thus far, but haven't had a lot of luck.

Often, the background color is picked up by (or shows through) the corals, further comlicating things like color selection. I need to preserve as much detail as possible without getting a halo or a 'cut out' look....

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few examples of the originals, and an attempt using channels to create a mask:

Bathypathes-patula002.jpgBathypathesPatula1.jpg

B._patula_04.jpg
Antipathes_unk_08.JPG

Hoogle

Guru
I think this is past the refine edge option in photoshop I would recomend topaz remask 3 a plugin for photoshop I love it here is a 25 min video but shows it off well

Carrie56

Power User
I agree with Hoogleman Topaz Remask 3 is a relatively cheap plug in compared to the price of photoshop and it works right inside photoshop as a filter. It is a great tool to have and compliments photoshop well.

Bucket

Thats exactly what i am struggling with. I solved the problem by getting some hair drawn brushes,but that still leaves the problem with the tree. I found that this could solve a lot of difficult problems. Thanks Bucket