What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

replace texture 3D

magenta01

Hi,
when selecting Replace Texture for a 3D image, can another 3D image be added here or can it only be a 2D image?

Thanks

magenta01

hi,
no i am just "theorising". i have a tutorial where it shows how to replace the texture of the 3d object with a 2d image. i just wanted to ask if the same can be done with a 3D image?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's hard to make a call without seeing what it is your talking about. Can you please link us to the tutorial?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
3D objects should always maintain it's workspace in the layers panel unless you combined/flattened the layers. You should be able to edit the "texture" applied to the 3D object. The texture "decal.jpg" used in the tutorial is 2D. So the answer to your question, if I'm understanding it, is yes...............you should have no problem replacing the texture in the 3D object with a 2D image.

i'm just curious about whether a 3D image can be used instead of a 2D image in the texture replace.
Well........yes if you are planning to replace the entire existing 3D object. But I don't think a 3D object can be used for texturing another 3D object.

Sam' s answer is correct.
Textures for 3D work in Photoshop are always 2D jpeg.images.

Only the values you put in the boxes of the "Texture Properties" do the wrap-around effect on the balloon.
In case you want to change the provided image and replace it with your own jpeg.image, this is the place to do it.
But you might have to adjust the values in the boxes.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-26 um 17.48.34.png

Last edited:

magenta01

thanks guys , appreciate it.

if i wanted to convert a 2D image of a car to 3D, would i select postcard or extrude?