What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resizing to A3?

Bluie

Hello

I have this lovely jpg photo (attached) and wish to print it off A3 size (well, to fit in an A3 frame), without it losing the quality associated with its current 496px width/454px height properties.

I will probaby type a few words on the image in a Pooh font.

What's the best way of resizing it, please?

Thank you.

Attachments

• PoohBear.jpg
    PoohBear.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 18
An important issue is that since you aren't the artist, you don't hold the copyright ( ie, the legal right to copy this work).

Since this illustration dates from early in the 20th century, there is a possibility that it is in the public domain, but in the absence of such status, you are legally and ethically obliged to obtain different versions of this work (including a higher resolution version) from the estate of the artist (EH Shepard) or their licensed representatives. I do know that some of his original illustrations have been recently sold for very large sums of money.

Here's an article about such matters that just appeared:
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=893&sid=3614222

There is also a technical problem with your request. It can be seen as follows. Divide your 496 px long dimension by the 16.5 inch long dimension of an A3 sheet, and you get 30 pixels per inch. That is 10x lower resolution than the commonly accepted value of 300 ppi needed for a printed image to be perceived as sharp. Since this 10x ratio also applies (approximately) to the short dimension, it means that you only have about 1% of the number of pixels you need to make a sharp image on A3. No algorithm ever developed can accurately fill in that many missing pixels.

Tom

Last edited:
Many thanks for your reply.

Of course, I didn't draw Winnie-the-Pooh or compose Beethoven's 5th, and nor would I wish to 'steal' from the artist. Full credit to him who was original.

I probably just don't know who to ask permission from.

Thank you for the link. I don't intent to sell anything. The print will go in an A3 frame, that was the idea, on
someone's bedroom wall. That's all. But yes, I prefer to ask permission to reproduce it.

Technically, you are saying that it can't be done. Maybe I was being a little ambitious!

Thanks again and no offence meant.

Enjoy your day.

Back