What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoration Challenge with a Prize for the Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
This image is actually a 3 year old girl, made as a tin type in 1860. This child lost her hearing at age 5 but grew up to be the wife of a very famous man, Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone. Mr Bell undertook to restore her hearing and in the process ended up inventing the telephone. So now, it's up to you to restore her photograph and give it some nice colors. The best entry will receive an engraved plaque as the winner. Challenge will end in two weeks from today, January 10, 2015, at midnight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mabel_Gardiner_Hubbard

Edit: This is open to all who want to participate, mods, members, admins, who ever. (except me of course)
Please post finished images at this size 1224 x 1536 px at 300ppi.

Edit 12-30-2014 Upon closer inspection, please note that what appears to be an object of some sort that starts at the lower right of the subject and continues around the inside of the frame, is actually some kind of damage. This possibly was done in the printing process but who knows. The point is that in mine and others opinion it should be edited out and treated as a repair. Hopefully this hasn't caused any inconvenience. See gedstar's diagram below.
View attachment 51790

Attachments

• mabel g hubbard resize.png
    mabel g hubbard resize.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Re: Challenge : Restore and color this photo that was a daguerreotype in 1860

What a gracious offer, Larry! Thank you!

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul

Former Member
Re: Contest with a gift

Excellent idea Larry, very gracious of you too.

Hi Larry
and thank you for this post. This is an excellent idea.

Before we start everyone should do the job on the same image size.

Your posted image (B+W) is 612x768 pixel, 72 ppi.
Your posted image (colorized is 1017x1185 pixel, 300 ppi.

Now I found a much bigger size in the internet of 3265x 4096 pixel, 800 ppi.
Maybe we should all use this big size for our work and post it in the forum in a smaller size. What do you think?

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/cph.3d02013/

Last edited:

ALB68

Hi Larry
and thank you for this post. This is an excellent idea.

Before we start everyone should do the job on the same image size.

Your posted image (B+W) is 612x768 pixel, 72 ppi.
Your posted image (colorized is 1017x1185 pixel, 300 ppi.

Now I found a much bigger size in the internet of 3265x 4096 pixel, 800 ppi.
Maybe we should all use this big size for our work and post it in the forum in a smaller size. What do you think?

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/cph.3d02013/

Yes, Chris. The one you found is my original source at the Library of Congress archives. I have upgraded the working image now to 1224 x 1536 @ 300ppi and this can be the standard. Mine is not relevant as I'm not a contestant. If you prefer to work in the original, then that's fine of course but let's post at 1224 x 1536 to be consistent and save some band width.

ALB68

Very nice Chris..I love the color combinations! Thanks for submitting it.

ALB68

"are you using the original posted image"
Yes!

Not sure I understand, in the original the background looks to be damaged to me hence my restore, I mean what's in the oval frame, the original is in black and white so how can it be restored to color?
Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought a restoration was to bring it back to as close to it's original as possible

The area's that I've highlighted in the image below look to me like damage hence the restore

Sorry if I'm wrong but that's just my opinion

View attachment 51860
I tend to agree with you and that's your call as to how you want to approach it. (of course what I mean is that the form of the picture should be original, since this is a colorization then that of course does not apply)

Last edited:

ALB68

See my edit as of 12-30 on the first post for some important information

gedstar

Guru
Thanks Larry for clarifying that :thumbsup:
Here the damage I was talking about

mabel g hubbard resize Damage.jpg

And here's my not quite finished one, so can I assume it's OK to continue with this restore?

mabel g hubbard resize5.jpg

ALB68

gedstar- Of course..looking good. Thanks for pointing this out, we have it sorted out now.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Gedstar, I only have this critism.

The whight under the pupils makes her look like she is rolling her eyes at us, and the arm color looks just a bit flat.

Otherwise, I think it looks great!

gedstar

Guru
Gedstar, I only have this critism.

The whight under the pupils makes her look like she is rolling her eyes at us, and the arm color looks just a bit flat.

Otherwise, I think it looks great!

Thanks Clare

I knew the eye's looked a bit funny alright first time doing them :) will redo the arms as well

Edit 12-30-2014 Upon closer inspection, please note that what appears to be an object of some sort that starts at the lower right of the subject and continues around the inside of the frame, is actually some kind of damage. This possibly was done in the printing process but who knows. The point is that in mine and others opinion it should be edited out and treated as a repair. Hopefully this hasn't caused any inconvenience. See gedstar's diagram below.
View attachment 51790[/QUOTE]

In accordance with the additional rules of Larry I have now adjusted the background of my image.

mabel g hubbard resize_chrisdesign+.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.