What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring aging comic book pages

Peter000

I have a scan of a comic book (actually multiple books) that the pages have aged so they have a sepia look to them. What's the best way of removing the sepia while restoring the original colors? It's hard because I really don't know what the pristine comic book pages looked like so restoring the colors to exactly what they were intended to be will be nearly impossible.

Anyway, I've been fooling around with a combination of several different curve presets, brightness & contrast and the replace color commands, and have come up with something acceptable to me. Again, I don't know what to shoot for. This project is for my own use and edification. :) Here's a before and after of the page I've been working with (these aren't the full-sized scans, obviously). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, once I have the image the way I want it, is there any way to create an action from my history list, so I can automate processing the rest of the pages of the book? I'm working with Photoshop CS3.

EDiT: I should add that this isn't to reprint, but solely to create a .cbz file I can read on my computer/iPad.

Attachments

• Amazing Spider-Man 134-01_640.jpg
    Amazing Spider-Man 134-01_640.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Amazing Spider-Man 134-01a_640.jpg
    Amazing Spider-Man 134-01a_640.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
This is simply using the white and black eye droppers in curves, then raising the overall contrast. You can save the curves adjustment settings and use it anytime.

Back