What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rounded/Sharp Stroke

tranquil222

Power User
Is there any way to make it when you stroke text to make it so the the edges are sharp instead of the default where it rounds the edges or is this an excercise that must be done manually as in the demo below(with the poly lasso, ctrl shift I, then backspace)? :{ :\

G

I don't think so; path stroke, adjustment layer stroke, selection stroke, I always get rounded corners.

I'm curious to know too if it's possible.

Erik

Guru
Did you try (can't try it out rightaway now) to grow the selection by half the width of the "stroke" then setting a border selection of the full width and filling with (Alt+Del) the foreground color?

Or perhaps the Minimum/Maximum filters (Filters>Other)

just some possible solutions I'd try out...

wbiss

Guru
[confused] I don't think so either, tranquil222! Unless you're willing to set your type in Illustrator... :\

;) Just a thought though... try setting your font at double the size that you want it. Stroke it, rasterize it and then reduce/sharpen it. ;)

theKeeper

Guru
hm... oddly enough, i don't think it's "completely" possible either.

Try this:

1) create your text. Just type the number 1 for a test. Make it very large -- 500pt.

2) Using Layer Styles, Stroke it by 2px. Apply.

3) Right-click the type layer and RAsterize it, then right-click again and choose "Create Layer". You'll get 2 layers -- 1 your original type layer, and 2 your expanded copy that creates the stroke effect. Click on that layer.

4) FILTER>Other>Minimum. Set it to 4px.

Now check out what's happened here. All of the corners except the top-front get 'squared' somewhat decently. Just not 'completely'. (see example pic)
I tried a number of methods and they all produce rounded results; except the method i just described.

I find this odd considering PS is pixel based, and pixels are square.

My conclusion then... is that it has everything to do with PS's lack of anti-aliasing control. It's preventing the corners from being rendered 'pure'.

tranquil222

Power User
Yeah, I guess I was wondering if it was an attribute that could be set in the Blending Options. [innocent] I wish I didn't have to rasterize my text to do this. [upset] Hopefully you can toggle this option in future versions. Don't know what they were thinking. I would think the default they would chose would be sharp corners if they chose just one. [confused] Oh well, thanks everyone!

theKeeper

Guru
Well actually... you NEED to rasterize the type. You can simply select it, and add a new layer below it, then fill that selection with your stroke colour. And from there use the Minimum filter as mentioned prior.

Only thing is if you ever wanted to change the type layer, you'd need to redo the second layer part over. But if ya wait til you're done changing the type layer, it would be simpler.

That's about all i can think of for this... at the moment. :D :B