What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sand creature thingy

kiwi

Guru
I have not posted anything for yonks ;\ ,so heres a scene which still needs quite a bit of work in the background

I used C4D and PS if anyone is wondering :)

I like the golden type warm tones in it myself.

Stu.

B

BlueMonster

most things i don't like are just personal, so im not going to comment on that. i just want to ask you first what this creature is standing on/in... is it alive or just a statue? Now im having a bit of a hard time to understand what youre trying to express.

nice modeling though

S

Sunsprite

When I look at it I get a feeling of being trapped...as if the sand closes around the creature and may even be solidifying to turn it to stone, and it wants out of there right now!
Interesting scene, Stu! :D Keep up the good work!
---Maya

kiwi

Guru
Thanks guys :perfect:

It is sand and the creature is alive and dwells beneath the earth,it has just burst up through the sand :) The horns in the shoulder area are for earth digging.

The expression was a snapshot of it getting its first breath of air out in the open after digging for a long time.

Blue Monster - Not usually my thing either but it was a quicky for a C4D weekly challenge {design an Alien creature} on a forum I frequent.

I might play around with it again later some time after tweak some of polys a bit more.

Its does not have the gamma adjusted either,I forgot...

Erik

Guru
Like Maya, I have the impression that the creature is sinking into the quicksend. This will probably be because of the circular waves around its waist.

I like the shader a lot, and also the clumpiness (does this word exist, and if yes: does it convey what I want to say???) of its body. The sky I like a bit less as the colours of the sand make me think of deserts and burning suns, and, even with coulds, these should, in my opinion, be more white against a blue sky.

But you know well what you do, so you will have your reasons for what you did.

Modelling has really become a part of you, hasn't it? :perfect:

kiwi

Guru
Erik said:
Like Maya, I have the impression that the creature is sinking into the quicksend. This will probably be because of the circular waves around its waist.

I like the shader a lot, and also the clumpiness (does this word exist, and if yes: does it convey what I want to say???) of its body. The sky I like a bit less as the colours of the sand make me think of deserts and burning suns, and, even with coulds, these should, in my opinion, be more white against a blue sky.

But you know well what you do, so you will have your reasons for what you did.

Modelling has really become a part of you, hasn't it? :perfect:

Ya I agree with those observations Erik :perfect:

Sinking huh ya I suppose the sand does like its being drawn inwards,will have to tweak that :)

Modelling part of me?,ya I am now part polygon :D

Stu.

kiwi

Guru
gidgit said:
now that is one alien creature there Stu... :perfect:

Cheers - I played around with the head some more today and defined the features more,chucked the body though...

When I get BP2 up and running I will paint my Dragon up next.

Erik

Guru
G: Undoubtably the hypernurbsed one! [shhh]

Hey Stu, on the ATZE site (motiongimmick) there are some nice avis now. Also for making something come out of water or sand. You know them?

Also, there is a freeze deformer that translates virtual deformation objects into polygon-ones. It's called Freeze Deformation and can be found at www.entagma.de

I tried it with wind, and it works, although the converted object does show up when previewing, but not in the renderer.

Probably my lack of knowledge. As usual. Over at the portal, we're working on that one.

B

BlueMonster

kiwi said:
It is sand and the creature is alive and dwells beneath the earth,it has just burst up through the sand

kiwi said:
I might play around with it again later some time after tweak some of polys a bit more.

Well then you'll probably know what I would comment on when you read the first quote. I'll wait until you've worked on it a bit more and then I'll comment. Seems more fair or not? ;)

Erik

Guru
Problem solved.

Much better is to apply ATZE to an object, and then throw the lot binto a Hypernurbs set to zero. This can be made etitable and edited ? vonont?.

The Freeze has the disadvantage that, except for applying things like Atom Array, it gives bizarre results, like the above mentioned differences between preview and render.

wbiss

Guru
:D Nice job Stu!

8[ I've seen worse at the beach...

Maybe some sand being sprayed outward from the creature will help to give that bursting through the earth effect! ;)