What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Save to web: restrictions in length of file name?

cyberdao

First of all: Hi to everybody! :D

I found this place through the Xara X forums at talkgraphics and am glad I did. I hope, I will be able to contribute to this forums, but at first, I'm afraid, I will have to ask more than I can help others... Please bear with me.

When I use the "save to web" in PS 7.01, PS automatically cuts my filenames after 27 characters. Is there any work-around (besides reaming the file afterwards in DW or GL)? I sometimes need longer file names and this is really getting annoying.

Thanks for any hints!

Marcus

sfm

Guru
Welcome to the board Cyberdao
I dont think I have ever used that many characters to name an image
I thought that only win 95 limited its file names
sfm

cyberdao

Thanks for your welcome!

I had no problems saving web formats with long names in other programs.

ImageReady does the same, btw, cuts all file names after 27 characters.

I'm on Win XP.

theKeeper

Guru
Hi Cyberdao, welcome to the community.
Hope you enjoy your stay.
And feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. But also... don't be afraid to oofer others your words of advice or wisdom, even if YOU think it isn't good enough. Sometimes, every little bit helps. ;)

I tried naming a new file using 32 characters, and i had no problems. I also saved a file using 60 characters, with no hiccups at all. I'm using WinXP too. I have the Pro addition. Are you using the "Home" addition perhaps? Just a stab in the dark there; don't think it should matter.

I see no reasons though at all for the name limitation. It's an OS thing, so it shouldn't have anything at all to do with any app you have. They'll all bow to the OS's commands.

I'd like to suggest you have a hunt on the Adobe Knowledge Base or ask around their PS Forum also Cyberdao. Hopefully their tech guys will tend to your question and provide an adequate solution. I'd check their knowledge base first though for any kind of info on this problem.

G

Hi cyberdao and welcome to the board :perfect: :perfect:

No, it is true Mark, 27 characters is really the maximum, but only if you use Save for Web. The Save as option doesn't have this limitation, but is missing all the features that makes Save for Web so interesting to use :\

wbiss

Guru
Welcome aboard cyberdao! :)

cyberdao

Thanks for your warm welcome!

Yes, Gaussian, you are right, the "save as" works.

Thanks for the tipp!

Marcus

theKeeper

Guru
Oh really?!
Actually... ya you're right, i just tried it.

Well!!!... look like Adobe's got some explaining to do then huh!?. [stuned] [doh] :D

I'm going to presume it has something to do with a naming convention limitation of the Internet, and the various types of Server OSes out here. 8[

wbiss

Guru
It came as a surprise to me too, Gauss. Not that I would have ever run into that problem myself. My imagination doesn't extend beyond 27 characters. :D Good info to know, though.

sfm

Guru
wbiss said:
My imagination doesn't extend beyond 27 characters. :D

my spelling doesn't allow me any where near that many characters :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
sfm

G

I hate it when I can't solve problems (must be because of my IT background :D )

So....voila!

Here the solution.

After you click on Save for Web..., follow the steps in the attachment.

In step 4: unselect Mac OS

Have fun ;)

cyberdao

B7 B7 B7

Wow, thanks a bunch!!!

Works great.

(I sometimes need long file names for a book title + subtitle)

theKeeper

Guru
Really?! It was just the "Mac Compatibility" option?!!! Sheeesh! hahaa :rofl:

I thought Macs had no limit on filenames? Or at the least, could use as many as Windows can...? Wow... that's news to me. [stuned]

Great stuff G, thanks! :perfect:
------------------------------------------------
..returns a few minutes later...
Hmmm... just noticed something... wonder why we can't setup this option on a permanent and "global" level...? We have to do it per image it appears.

G

Amazing what's always hidden behind those little black triangles, these submenus. I'm planning to look around a bit more this week and let you all know what kind of new stuff I will discover. BTW, did one of you press the ALT button while having this web preview window in front of you; suddenly the done button changes to remember (settings) ;)