What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nicolette

Hi everybody! I have an old (as in OLD) version of Photoshop- Photoshop 7 that was a (uhm) gift from a friend, it's always worked 'well enough' for me in the past, but in the last few months I've been having issues saving something as a JPEG file. The program will let me save it, but when I go back later to open the file, I will get an unwelcome pop up box announcing "Could not open _____ because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found" I finally started saving everything as a PSD or PNG file just so I could keep working, but I need to start converting all these files to JPEGs so I can keep working! Photoshop isn’t doing this all the time, but enough that if I start saving things a JPEGS I'll stop checking my files after a few times, and them WHAM- I have 6 or 7 files that I can't access anymore! grrrrrr.....:devilish:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Just as a matter of information-what is your end use? Is it web content or print?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Nicolette,

I'm not saying this is your problem, but I have had this very same issue before. For me, it happened when I was working too fast and was not paying attention to what I was doing.

After I would open a document other than a jpg, when saving I would either type in the jpg extension or I would click one (jpeg) with a similar name and I would alter it by adding a successive numerical designation. The problem arose when I would forget to to change the document format!!!!
In my example here.....you can see that my file name has a jpg extension, but the format is Photoshop (PSD). Whenever I would reopen this file after I saved it this way, I would get the same POP-UP telling me, "Could not open ClawMark04.jpg because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found".

saveAs_01.jpg

Don't know if this helps at all!