What's new

scratchboard effect?

Radamand

Hi, Can someone suggest a plugin or a tutorial that would let me convert a photo of my dog into something more like a scratchboard image?

like this one:
artincanada.com/artists/judyblakegallery6.jpg

J2D2

It'd be difficult to get something that high quality without actually drawing it by hand. Your best bet is probably the "chalk and charcoal" filter under the "Filter -> Sketch" menu. Play around with the settings a bit.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Here is a better photo with the source image. Lots of different ways to do something like this, but J2D2 is right, the best results will include some sketching on the image. Still Photoshop can prepare the way quite for you to add some simple touchups.

Attachments

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Probably worth a try alright. You guys with all the tutorial links surprise me every time!
Except it's a plug-in, but maybe that's acceptable.

Paul, You know how Vafann complains sometimes that her images look different as psd's than jepgs when she posts them here? Same for the wolf above. The effects don't show up very well I just noticed. Maybe they just need to be really exaggerated before posting . . .

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Plug ins are ok, me personally can't be bothered with them.
Clare my post was aimed at the OP's post image not yours mate, but i too have had similar image problems sometimes, don't know why but they do sometimes?

Vafann

Guru
here's a couple shots at it. I used filters and in the first (left), used the pencil tool in both white and black on top to add more furry texture. poor res image though. sry bout that:
These and the other ones are really cool Clare!! I can see all kinds of artsy things being done with things like this! :)

Vafann

Guru
Probably worth a try alright. You guys with all the tutorial links surprise me every time!
Except it's a plug-in, but maybe that's acceptable.

Paul, You know how Vafann complains sometimes that her images look different as psd's than jepgs when she posts them here? Same for the wolf above. The effects don't show up very well I just noticed. Maybe they just need to be really exaggerated before posting . . .
AH! Finally someone who understands what I mean!! :)

Vafann

Guru
I tried mixing effects from Fotosketcher and photoshop, but it seems impossible to get a real sketch look from a picture.

wolfsketch-test-2.jpg

Radamand

wow, thanks for all the replies!

I have a scratchboard and am trying to convert a photo so i can use it to trace out a pattern, thanks for all the help.