What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Select and mask tool not showing the right property panel

HeidiAndreasen

What am I doing wrong?

I have spend HOURS trying to figure out, why the 'Property panel' doesn't appear the same, as in all the tutorials that I have seen regarding the subject 'select and mask' tool?

The panel that I get, keeps indicating that 'No mask has been selected' and hence I'm not able to choose the 'onion skin' in View Mode. Either I'm not able to work with the edges that I would like to refine.

What am I doing wrong and can someone please help me....?

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me to make the correct dialogue box/property panel appear (View mode).

I have attached a picture (in my language version) that shows the 'Property panel' that appears on my screen.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• No mask has been selected.jpg
    No mask has been selected.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 7

colleague

Guru
select window layers = Vælg Vindue > Lag

when there is no mask on the layer, there is nothing to refine
and view mask will say " there is no mask selected"

Attachments

• photoshop-layer-mask.jpg
    photoshop-layer-mask.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 20

MrToM

Guru
You don't get an 'active' Properties panel, (like the one you posted), until the layer has a mask.

Using 'Select and Mask' opens its own 'properties' window, in which is the 'Onion Skin' option...its not in the properties panel.

select_and_mask_MT_01.jpg

select_and_mask_MT_02.jpg

Create a marquee with a valid layer selected and the click the 'Select and Mask' button at the top of the Ui in the menu bar. The image is opened in a completely independent window where you have all the options to refine the mask.

Once you click OK at the bottom of that window you'll be taken back to the main UI where the 'Properties' panel will then become active for the new mask.

Sometimes the properties panel, (like the one you posted), doesn't update so you may need to close the tab and reopen it.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

HeidiAndreasen

You don't get an 'active' Properties panel, (like the one you posted), until the layer has a mask.

Using 'Select and Mask' opens its own 'properties' window, in which is the 'Onion Skin' option...its not in the properties panel.

View attachment 73009

View attachment 73010

Create a marquee with a valid layer selected and the click the 'Select and Mask' button at the top of the Ui in the menu bar. The image is opened in a completely independent window where you have all the options to refine the mask.

Once you click OK at the bottom of that window you'll be taken back to the main UI where the 'Properties' panel will then become active for the new mask.

Sometimes the properties panel, (like the one you posted), doesn't update so you may need to close the tab and reopen it.

Regards.
MrToM.

-----

Thank you so much MrToM - you saved my day.

Found out that if you go to Window/workspace/update 'select and mask' that would help too.

Will send a lot of good vibes and karma your way

/Heidi