What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SELECT Subject Option help

efiste2

Thanks to the great advice on here I have discovered the SELECT SUBJECT feature, its ideal for lamens like me to enhance photographs. However once the select subject option has decided on the area to "select" can it be slighlty altered. The pic below is a screen cap of my issue, the actual area is just what I want except around the subjects neck line and the windscreen of the car, I know you can adjust the pixels of the outline to reduce the "feather" effect, but Is it possible to "edit" the selction area ?

Capture.JPG

To add to, or subtract from, your selection, choose, for instance, the quick selection tool.
At the top menu bar, you'll see three choices:

1651610513600.png
First brush is the New Selection tool.
Second brush with the plus (+) symbol adds to your selection
Third brush with the minus (-) symbol, subtracts from your selection

Here I made this first new selection:

1651609012906.png

And I want to remove the part of the selection that that includes the background, I would choose the remove tool:

1651609098257.png

And click next to the problem selection to remove it:

1651609243874.png

Similarly, if you wanted to add to the selection, you would use the symbol with the plus (+) symbol.

Some selection tools show boxes instead of brushes, like the lasso tool for instance:

1651609435400.png

The first box is the New Selection tool
The second box is the Add to Selection tool
The third box (highlighted) is Subtract from Selection tool
The fourth box is Intersect with Selection too

Shortcut tip - with the selection tool active, hold down the ALT (Option on Mac) and drag to subtract from selection
To add to the selection, hold down the SHIFT key and drag to add to the selection.

Here's a great tutorial from Aaron Nace of PHLearn on selections - actually the entire series is quite educational:

Use the tool which provides the most accurate selection. Often the pen tool works best but that's a whole other sticky ball of wax. :cheesygrin:

- Jeff

Last edited:
Hi,
once selected, can it be turned into a Quick mask, command Q. as quick masks can then be edited with standard Brush or erase tools down to the single pixel level.

Regards, Sandy

Back